New Member with New Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Chrisx42, May 20, 2009.

1. Chrisx42 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say whats up to everyone. ive been lurking on the forum for the past couple weeks researching the new uni macbook. finally pulled the trigger on a refurb 2.0 unibody and i am inlove with it. I going back to school and needed something for the long haul. Having the ability to record lectures and dump them to an ipod to listen before an exam is amazing. i want to ask one question that i searched for and could not find answers. noob here so please bare with me.

1. i want to purchase MS office but im not a fan of 2008. Will 2004 work on Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard?

Thank you and look foward to time on the forum.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes and welcome.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yep, 2004 will work just fine. I'll warn you though that Microsoft designed Office for Mac to look and work a little bit differently than the PC version. It's still fully compatible, it just looks a bit weird first time you use it.

You may want to consider iWork (which is also compatible with Office), but made by Apple, and is a little less expensive.

4. Chrisx42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. i remember reading somewhere that 04 gave alot problems on the new leopard..maybe for users who upgraded the os?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not true as I use it often and always. It is a resource hog though because it's running under rosetta.

6. Chrisx42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks jessica..im not sure what you mean by resources or rosetta. lol ive been using pc's for alooong time..and i can not deal with vista anymore so here i am trying to get familiar with mac.

7. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Resources are RAM, CPU, GPU and other stuff like that. So when we say "resourse hog" or call something a "pig" it is using A LOT of those resources. Mostly RAM and CPU tho.

Rosetta is a way to run programs that are not native to mac on a mac. Like running a windows program on mac. But correct me if I am wrong here tho.

8. EngBrian macrumors regular

My understanding of rosetta is that it isn't to run programs not native to mac but rather to run programs that aren't native to intel macs...ie written for macs but before the transition from powerpc to intel.

9. raremage macrumors 6502a

Just to be clear, "fully compatible" is a bit of an overstatement. It's fully compatible if you want to be able to open and look at the files, and they usually look reasonably close to the layout from a Windows system.

But not always. Anything beyond basic layout functions and you risk losing something in the translation (try something with conditional formatting, for example). Just making you aware.

There are work arounds - such as, when we send documents to our clients, we generally save them off as PDFs to ensure the appearance will be what we expected when the doc was created. But if you need to collaborate, your options are limited - if the people with whom you need to collaborate are running Office 2007 (for example) more often than not you will need a Windows VM to truly work together on the same document.

10. Hoodman macrumors newbie

Get iWork, is better, cheaper, and make things you can't on office.

yes, it has compatibility issues, but with PDf format if you can print the document in any computer (PC, Mac, etc...)

Don't get office....

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If you want to closely match the PC version of Office as much as possible, I highly recommend NeoOffice. The UI is similar to that of MS Office of the PC version, and if you do not need advanced Office features like Macros and such, you don't need to spend any money. NeoOffice is free.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Welcome and congrats on the purchase.

It's not like the Mac version of Office has macros either.

13. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

What can iWork do that office can't?
    I like iWork better, but just wondering what it could do that ''office'' can't

Has anyone used wine to run ms office?

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

iWork makes for pretty presentations while Office'03 is boring as hell. Office '08 actually has some nice presentation features now.

iWork's word processor also has some nice very basic publishing features as well.

15. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Ahhh...ya that would make sense seeing as the intel macs are fairly new. Thank you for clearing that up for me!