Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redrum42

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
England
Hi, first of all these forums have been great during my decision to switch to apple, and thought that id share my story as some comfort to those struggling with yellow screens.

I read about the yellow bottom 1/3 issues but decided to take the risk and get a macbook pro anyway. Sadly I ended up with an LG screen that had pretty bad yellowing. Replaced it only to get another one with a Samsung screen and more yellowing (though much more subtle). Not wanting to risk another replacement with defective units still out there, and reading the tales of members here who had sent their laptops for repair only to get another dodgy screen I decided to email Steve Jobs about my problem. I got a prompt reply from Executive Relations Europe and a follow up telephone call.

They were very apologetic, said that my case had been discussed with tech support and that although they couldn't say certainly that this was a known issue without examining my unit, that there had been problems with the screens. Apparently they have now switched manufacturer or something (probably not but maybe new batches?) and that there are perfect screens out there. Therefore they offered me a new unit, which would be custom built and guaranteed to check it to make sure it had one of the perfect screens on, and then delivered to my door. I even got a free hard drive upgrade thrown in, and a courier to pick up my old mbp!

Overall therefore, if all goes as planned I will have been very impressed by Apple's response.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
wow, that's amazing!

a couple of questions for you:

1. When did you order your Macbook pro and when did it arrive?

2. You emailed Steve Jobs? Could you post what you said in the email? Just wondering if it was such a great email that they did something for you because of that.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
I read about the yellow bottom 1/3 issues but decided to take the risk and get a macbook pro anyway. Sadly I ended up with an LG screen that had pretty bad yellowing. Replaced it only to get another one with a Samsung screen and more yellowing (though much more subtle).

Wow, that was very impressive! But might I ask, when did you make your initial and subsequent MBP purchase(s) with the screen defects? Recently or a while ago? I'm about to make a MBP purchase soon...

redrum42

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
England
I bought my mbp at a local reseller. First one was a week 25 build, second one is week 27.

As for the email, I didn't say anything special. Just wrote out my case history and said I was not willing to risk getting a third faulty unit and could they guarantee to fix the problem for me. I also referenced the huge thread here discussing the issue.

I was surprised at the admission that there were some good and some bad screens out there. I was told that the only way to guarantee that I got a good screen was a custom build, presumably there's a large back stock of standard spec units sitting around.

redrum42

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
England
No not received yet, its a custom build in order to avoid existing stock so will take a while.

Hopefully Apple will live up to their promises...

imr2

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
No not received yet, its a custom build in order to avoid existing stock so will take a while.

Hopefully Apple will live up to their promises...
When did you place the order and when is the expected delivery date?

I was surprised at the admission that there were some good and some bad screens out there. I was told that the only way to guarantee that I got a good screen was a custom build, presumably there's a large back stock of standard spec units sitting around.
Why is it then that people who have just received their CTO machines are reporting problems with their display?

redrum42

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
England
I don't know when the order was placed or deliever times - its a corporate order placed on my behalf by an apple executive.

I didn't mean that all custom built mbp's would have good screens but they said that in my case by getting it custom built it provides an opportunity to send instructions and get it checked at that stage to make sure its not faulty. It's the only stage at which apple corporate can send instructions/influence the manufacture.

raxrat

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2006
I don't know when the order was placed or deliever times - its a corporate order placed on my behalf by an apple executive.

I didn't mean that all custom built mbp's would have good screens but they said that in my case by getting it custom built it provides an opportunity to send instructions and get it checked at that stage to make sure its not faulty. It's the only stage at which apple corporate can send instructions/influence the manufacture.

Let me say as a long-time Apple customer who has owned 3 Macs (currently bottom 1/3 yellow-tinted SR MBP, waiting to hear back from Apple...), this is a very sad situation. As far I can tell, they are not checking the screens all that carefully in Shanghai (at all?). I guess I should at least be glad Apple is offering replacements and acknowledging the problem at least on a case-by-case basis. But do we really have to email SJ to get someone to special-order (with instructions!) a problem-free laptop?

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
I would hardly consider this a "Happy Ending" without even having the replacement machine with a perfect screen. If your replacement machine still has the yellow would you still call it a happy ending ?

Kawasaki

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
All computer screens are made in China (along with every other computer part), and issues are the result. I would reather have a part made in Taiwan or anywhere else. Look at how the Chinese do business and you will be trying to avoid them also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.