Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyMommy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Indian Trail, NC
Yesterday after a reboot I noticed a new icon in my menu bar. I can't click on it to determine what it is. I did notice however that when I plugged my digital camera in to download some photos off of it, the icon changed.

Worth noting as well was the camera download software "locking up" once I had clicked the button to chose which photos to download (a process I had done hundreds of times since). Instead, the only thing that would function was the "direct transfer" feature. I rebooted quite a few times in an attempt to resolve this but finally the only solution was to start and stop the direct transfer and then click the button to manually chose photos and location.

Still, even after the transfer was complete, the camera download software was locked up and there was a spinning beachball of death over whatever this new icon is.

Anyone have any clue? I had no issues with my camera uploads until this little baby appeared. I have attached a screenshot of the icon. It's the rectangle to the left of the Time Machine icon.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 506

HappyMommy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Indian Trail, NC
I finally got this working. I guess the camera icon is something I've either never noticed before or a new feature but updating the Canon software seems to have fixed the spinning beach ball of death so I'm good to go.

Soooo nevermind. :cool:

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
CMD-Drag to move things around. Drag it off the menu bar to have it disappear in a puff of smoke.

HappyMommy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Indian Trail, NC
Actually this particular icon doesn't respond to that. It *should* only pop up when a USB camera is attached so it's not a concern. After reinstalling the software and doing a few other little maintenance items, it went away and the lockups stopped. Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.