New messages are not showing as new

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mcvaughan, Aug 22, 2007.

1. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

I've noticed that if I read one section for a while that messages from another section are marked as Read. IOW, why won't these messages I have not clicked on yet stay "new?" I use the read the newest messages link for each section but it won't show me the messages that I have not seen yet.

Does this make any sense to anyone? :)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Isn't it because someone has started but not sent a reply in the relevant thread/forum? At least that's what I've always thought it was.

3. mcvaughan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think so.

Another explanation of what I'm talking about. I read something in one section, and then I jump to another section where I see posts with today's date that I have not read that are not bolded like other new posts. Because of this, it's hard to keep up with all the newest messages.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could you have taken so long with the first message that you may have been automatically logged out? I'm still not sure I know what you're talking about... :eek:

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you have no activity in the forums for 15 minutes, the system considers you to have left and all threads are marked read. Is that what's happening?

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya more info is needed as its making my head hurt.:eek:

7. mcvaughan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suppose that's a plausible explanation. :) I wasn't sure what the timeout was.