New messages are not showing as new

mcvaughan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I've noticed that if I read one section for a while that messages from another section are marked as Read. IOW, why won't these messages I have not clicked on yet stay "new?" I use the read the newest messages link for each section but it won't show me the messages that I have not seen yet.

Does this make any sense to anyone? :)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Isn't it because someone has started but not sent a reply in the relevant thread/forum? At least that's what I've always thought it was.

mcvaughan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I don't think so.

Another explanation of what I'm talking about. I read something in one section, and then I jump to another section where I see posts with today's date that I have not read that are not bolded like other new posts. Because of this, it's hard to keep up with all the newest messages.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Could you have taken so long with the first message that you may have been automatically logged out? I'm still not sure I know what you're talking about... :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you have no activity in the forums for 15 minutes, the system considers you to have left and all threads are marked read. Is that what's happening?