New metal

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Feb 4, 2012.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My TiBook/400 died (again) on Thursday night. I'd been expecting that since the case was breaking and the logicboard was going. It was the reason I replaced it with my wife's 12" PowerBook.

It was good enough to use though for kids games for my daughter. It'd go for a while, heat up, the fan would kick in and eventually it'd freeze. At that point it was time for my daughter to do something else for awhile. But Thursday night it wouldn't boot up. So I declared it dead, a second time (this was the second logicboard I put in this Mac).

This left my daughter without a machine to use, so I went off to eBay. Won this Mac today for $24.33 and $14.99 shipping. 1GHZ with 1GB ram. With my old dead Titanium I can replace the screen and drop in the hardrive. It's missing screws so I'll take the ones from the old Titanium. My son gets this Mac (an upgrade for him from his iBook G3) and my daughter gets his iBook.

And I get to fix another Mac! :)

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Nice inexpensive way to keep the old beast going if you can repair it. Good find.

3. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks!

Shouldn't be too hard to swap LCDs. I've replaced the logicboard on the TiBook 400 once before and that entailed dissembling the entire thing. It's odd, but most TiBook owners had issues with the hinges (like this new TiBook I am getting). But in my case, the hinges have always been strong (and still are) but the case itself started to break apart about three years ago. In fact, it's actually breaking around the hinge on the left side, versus the hinge itself breaking. Everything else except the case and logic board have been rock solid. And the original logicboard only gave out after eight years. Hopefully this new one will have some life in it too.