New Micro Sim Card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by auero, Apr 30, 2010.

1. auero macrumors 65816

Well I noticed that the way AT&T cuts the sim card, it allows you to use the micro sim as a regular sim. To put it in the iPad you'd just snap off the other half.

[​IMG]

Now does anyone think we could get a micro sim, NOT break the other half off and put it into the iPhone to have data only plans?

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I'd assume that if possible, it would have voice entirely disabled.

from sounds of how they deal with iphones, they'd probably catch it and shut the account down or something too.

3. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

anyone try this??? This sounds like it would work for those who just wanted data and no voice on a iPhone

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

My Guess

even if you got this to work the Sim will report to AT&T exactly what device you are using. AT&T can take action from there if they choose. they might not act for days weeks or months but the contract we agrees to protects them. I have switched devices many times smart phones dumb phones the sim reports to AT&T which one I am using in no more then 20 minutes.

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I'm orrery sure the microsim is the same as the current form factor. Meaning the sim card in your picture is now the standard ones AT&T is using. So if you get one in your iPhone, it will be like the one in the picture. I'm pretty sure they have the same internal design.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I imagine AT&T will be on the lookout for this, and I doubt they will allow it.

7. army91c macrumors 6502a

Yeah they already have a device that you can surf with that doesn't make calls. iPod touch FTW. Now I assume you would like to be able to surf 3g style but not sure how that would all go down. Give it a shot and see what happens lol.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We wont know exactly how it plays out untill a little while after everyone has one and tried a bunch of tricks like that and how and if AT&T responds.
    I wonder if you can use a microsim from an ipad 3G and then stick it into an iphone with a sim adapter and use it for data only. Like some people wanted just internet with no voice or texts.
    Or use it back and forth between an ipad, iphone, or to tether with a JB iphone to your laptop etc...

9. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm going to try and buy a sim to give this a shot. I have a gophone sim card with data only on it right now but its limited on the data. *crosses fingers*

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

11. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You may not realize it, but the Credit Card sized card is actually a SIM card. The smaller one you are used to is the mini-SIM, followed by the micro-SIM. The chip onboard is the same, so in theory, any SIM chip (contained under the gold contacts) should work, so long as its carrier can fit in the iPad.

TEG