New Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Boesky, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

2. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got a solid crack for Office 2008 with the latest update. I don't want to jeopardize it for a potential shaky program.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope.

Get OpenOffice instead. It runs better, uses less resources and its cheaper (read free)

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

MSO 2008 works just fine, at least for me. And I prefer an application that is fully compatible with the rest of the world.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

+1. Not to mention that Excel is much more powerful, especially for advanced functions.

8. omarjk macrumors regular

Isn't Office Mac 2010 already available in beta from some of the more unscrupulous corners of the web? I hear it is.

I use Office 2008 but that was because my girlfriend experienced a problem with Office/OpenOffice compatibility that nearly cost her a few marks on a term paper and was only rescued by someone editing and saving the document with Word before submission.

In truth, however, for anyone with a hair's breadth of it-savviness that would situation would most likely never have occurred.

9. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So isn't OO

I use Open Office to which I can easily converse with my company. That is, I create, modify or view documents that work fine in M$ Office. Also OO does not have the bloat or performance issues inherent in M$ Office

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

When you say crack, are you alluding to you not owning a legitimate copy?

12. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

Never encountered any issues with Office 2008. The only downside is Excel not supporting Macros which I do not use at all but hate it when I cannot recommend it to someone who needs that feature.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I stay away from "the more unscrupulous corners of the web." Downloading and installing software from such sources is a great way to get a trojan. No thanks! I'll cheerfully pay for legit software.

14. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

What does that mean?

Anyway, Office 2010 is due out next year. If you absolutely have to have Office for Mac and you can wait, I would wait for that. If you can't wait, 2008 is fine.

I use 2004 which works fine too, but I don't use it enough (once or twice a year) to justify paying for 2008 or 2010. I mainly use iWork and have had no problems with it.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It generally means he stole it.

16. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

This thread is deteriorating quickly. The question seems to be, is it worth installing the leaked beta of Office 2010 in place of Office 2008. The answer is no, unless you're just messing about and curious what's on offer.

There is meant to be a public beta soon anyway, which will probably be more reliable.

17. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I can say with 100% confidence that there really isn't a leaked beta of the next version of Office:Mac in the wild at this time. Not because I think that our security is so awesome that it couldn't get out there (although maybe it is, I don't know), but rather because I know where we are in our release cycle and know that a lot of the UI isn't hooked up yet. :) It follows from this that we're not near beta yet.

The next version of Office:Mac will be on store shelves in time for holiday 2010.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

18. davidlv macrumors 65816

Ms. Nadyne
    Just in case you're willing to listen to user input AND have any influence in regard to the design of the new version, here is my 2 cents' worth.
    I use Office 2004 everyday in a translation work flow environment, and while it does have some problems, it is very usable, with a good range of icons/buttons that can be added to the menu bars, customized to reduce time/effort in the editing process. Office 2008 on the other hand requires pulling down menus for everything, time/effort wasting, and I haven't found out how to get rid of all those immensely irritating guidelines/wizards/whatever you call them, always allover the screen, all designed for beginners. These should be hidden in pull-down menus, not the formating bars! The screen is so cluttered it would take at least a 24" screen to have the actual editing space required, making the application totally useless in a deadline-ahead, rush-faster, work environment, or even in my current home/in-house more relaxed translation work, on my 15" laptop. I do have a large LCD screen on the PPC, but I still strongly dislike the 2008 version's UI! So I have resorted to using Neo Office for my Intel Macbook Pro and remain with 2004 on the PPC machine. Can we entertain even a little hope MS will get the next version right? I.e., customizable menu bars and options to get rid of the chaff for professional work?
    Best regards