New Mid 2010 MBP- Dust under screen. What to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lordofuo, May 1, 2010.

1. lordofuo macrumors regular

Hey dudes and dudettes.

I just got a mid 2010 13 inch macbook pro in the mail about a week and three days ago.

Couple of days after doing some work with it, I noticed a little fiber (dust) approx. 1 centimeter long that is lying underneath the glass cover for the display.

It gets really annoying now that I'm aware of it. :mad:

Anyways, I called up AppleCare, and the support advisor told me that she could either replace it, repair it, or just give me my money back.

I certainly don't want my money back, since this mac is crazy good.

I certainly don't want a replacement, since most of my software cannot be installed on multiple machines without having to deal with the developers directly. :p

So my only options are to either get it repaired, or deal with it.

Since the repairs would be free, it is what i'm leaning towards doing, BUT I have read some cases where people send their gear in to Apple to get dust removed, only to get it back with more dust, or even worse: they replace the display entirely, and it happens to contain dead pixels!!! :eek:

What do you guys think I should do? I really hate it that something I paid $1250 for has a flaw that I am not responsible for, but I don't want to get it back in a worse condition.

Also, over time, even if your display is perfect when you first get it, do these displays tend to get dust behind them anyway? (if that makes sense.)

What do you think?

Thanks,

Alex :apple:

2. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

If it really bothers you that much go and repair it. If it comes back worse, they can't deny your request of repairing it again. Unless you really need your MacBook pro right now, IMHO I'd get it fixed. Good luck

3. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

4. lordofuo thread starter macrumors regular

Alright then. I guess that's what I'll do. I call the advisor tomorrow and have her send me a box.

Thanks!

5. lordofuo thread starter macrumors regular

I called an Apple advisor and he's gonna send me a box.

Hopefully they repair it in a dust-free environment. I don't think they would replace the entire screen for such a simple job. :p

But if i get it back and the same piece of dust is there, there will be blood! :mad:

6. Theappmachine macrumors member

Theappmachine

I have the same problem with my Apple Cinema Display 23".

Apple told me they can't repair it, not even if I pay, 'cos is a product they don't "open".

Is quite boring...

7. silexh macrumors member

silexh

good luck! If you get it back with the dust still there you could also try sending it out for a replacement without the hdd (no clue if that will work) or making a disk image and restoring that on the new machine. This will work if your software isn't bound to mac-adresses and stuff.

8. sth macrumors 6502a

Or try to find an AASP in your area. Often they will do the repairs themselves and not just send the units to Apple. That way you could check directly if there's any new dust trapped in the unit after the repair.

9. lauph macrumors regular

Apple won't open up the display assembly. They are probably swapping out your display with another one.

10. lordofuo thread starter macrumors regular

Whoa. So they are gonna replace the entire display just for a fiber?? I feel special now. :D haha

I'm gonna include a note in the MBP asking them to, no matter what method they use for repair, check and make sure there are no dead pixels, or other forms of dust.

I know i am being demanding, but I'm really picky about stuff that I pay good money for. :rolleyes:

@silex
    The important software does go by machine-ID's. So I don't think that would work. But thanks for the suggestion!

@sth
    I live out in the middle of nowhere, so the closest licensed repair place would probably be the Apple Store in Dallas, which is about 3 hours away. :(

@theappmachine
    Are they refusing to replace it, or do you just not want to go through all that? (I didn't want to either, since they would put a hold on a credit card!)

Thanks people!

11. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Can't you clone the current hard drive on to an external HDD and then restore it to a new dust-free MBP's hard drive? If it's the same configuration your apps shouldn't now the difference.

EDIT: this was already addressed. Oops.

12. lordofuo thread starter macrumors regular

Bout to package this baby up and send her off. :(:(:(:(

Hopefully I get back a perfect display.

I'll let you know. Any ideas on how long it usually takes to get stuff back? All the shipping so far is overnight.

Alex :apple: (last post on MBP for now... Back to the mini. :p)

13. justn macrumors member

justn

It took about 6 days to get my MacBook back. They replaced my cracking palmrest and bezel.

14. lordofuo thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds faster than I thought. Maybe I will get that lucky and have it back by next week? :)

alex :apple:

15. lordofuo thread starter macrumors regular

I received a call from Apple today saying that I have been chosen for the "Capture Program."

I went ahead and agreed to it. :p

Looks like I'm going to have to call up some software companies now to get my licenses transferred. :(

Oh well. New computer... again.

Maybe this time there won't be any dust?

I just hope there isn't anything seriously wrong with this new one. That would suck... bad. :mad:

16. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

In these cases I wonder if a timemachine backup would work if you swap for a new exact kind of laptop. Or won't it work the moment the serial is different of the machine.

17. lordofuo thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think that would work for some of the software I use. They register "Machine-ID's," and they use keys that specifically work with that Machine-ID. I'm going to have to deactivate the machine-ID for the old MBP, and call up a company to have my new MBP registered with a new key.

I have no idea when the new one will come. I've yet to receive any emails regarding this. I could really use a tracking number, etc.

18. lordofuo thread starter macrumors regular

Got my replacement.

The screen appears to be perfect. (knock on wood)

Thanks Apple! :D

P.S. I also noticed a few black dots on the body of the old book. This one doesn't have those. Not sure what they were, but this machine is perfection. (knock on wood again.) :rolleyes:

19. heliuscc macrumors member

Same here

A speck has appeared under my screen, right in the middle of the safari address bar under the isight camera and a bit to the left, also sits right in the middle of the itunes bar so you see it all the time. Received the MBP 20 May 2010 so what should I do, Applecare??