New mid-2015 iMacs as external displays?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sakabaro, Oct 13, 2015.

1. sakabaro macrumors regular

Does anyone know if it will be possible to use the new iMacs as external displays?

I am reading this "Support for extended desktop and video mirroring modes" on Apple website but I guess it means that you can connect the new iMacs to more displays for sure however not necessarily connect the iMac as a display to another computer.

2. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

The original 5k iMac couldn't be used as an external display because of the hack Apple had to do to make it work. I dn't know if the new one is the same.

3. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    They are still using TB2 and do not allow DP1.3, which is a bit of a shame. not sure if i will hold off, and that is presuming apple will alow TDM, even when TB3 and DP 1.3 is implemented. At this rate, one could argue the 'next best thing' is always around the corner. DP1.3 and TB3 are not paramount for my needs, neither do i need a new imac right now. I think i will play it safe and test the machine out.

4. sakabaro thread starter macrumors regular

Hum. Yeah. Anyone has gotten a strong confirmation either way?

5. fob macrumors member

fob

Very likely no. there is an Apple support page that list suporting iMacs. And no riMac thus far is on the list. TB3/USB-C will be a big upgrade if target display is implemented. The display will not be wasted once the AMD cards go bust or be inevitably outdated.

6. sakabaro thread starter macrumors regular

That's the shame. :(

I've a PC for gaming and I now looking for a good display but I feel even a 34" curved (What I have) is not a real match to a retina 5k 27, specially now they have improved it to P3.