New Mighty Mouse coming soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Picturesnap, May 23, 2008.

1. Picturesnap macrumors newbie

What with all the excitement and speculation about new iPhones with 3G fun and new faster processors, are Apple sneaking in a revised Mighty Mouse, because I am having trouble getting hold of one!

My old Pro mouse finally gave up, so I decided to get me a Mighty Mouse, despite what people have said about the little ball on top, I quite like the feel of the M. Mouse... but the large department store where I work are all out. Now, here in the UK, said dept. store (can't name names, but it's a Partnership, if that helps!) is usually a good gauge of when something is going to change, because the stock just doesn't arrive.

I was going to buy a MacBook last year, but when the stock wasn't coming in, I knew a revision was on the way, and it was...

So now we have no Mighty Mice!

So should I source one from somewhere else, or wait? I've heard tell that a new one might be more in line with the aluminium mac look?
    That would be sexy...

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I doubt it, theres tons in stock at bestbuys here and apple stores.

3. ColinEC macrumors 6502

We can only hope for a new Might Mouse.

I like the ball on top too, despite what others have said; but it needs improvements.

I have had to replace my Mighty Mouse once due to the scroll ball getting discolored, trapping dirt, and not scrolling.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no rumors on it, and i'd find it unlikely. apple are usually pretty slow to update things like keyboards and mice.

5. Picturesnap thread starter macrumors newbie

That's just what I've heard about the ball. The iMac we use as an office dogsbody and print server has one, and I've always liked it... but like others, I've heard that the little ball will get bunged up with dirt and whatnot, and stop working.

Design flaw.

But an aluminium mighty mouse with a touch sensitive area on top, like amini trackpad, with multi-touch... that you could do forefinger gestures with! Now wouldn't that be cool!

Maybe in a few revisions down the line perhaps!

Until then... it's the $7 plastic fantastic. Does job I guess.

6. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I used to work at the Genius Bar for apple. We always would get people coming in saying the MM quit scrolling. Apple's fix on the support site was not a good one and would only work temporary before it stopped again. What we found out that works everytime was instead of using a damp cloth was to actually use a cottonball with alcohol on it instead while holding upside down. That worked alot better and never had anymore issues.

7. operator207 macrumors 6502

I work at a clinic, so when the ball gets clogged, I grab a alcohol swab, and clean it off. This is a small piece of paper towel like material soaked in alcohol. Take that and rub the ball back and forth while it is upside down.

The only time this has not worked, was when I somehow got a eyelash stuck in it. I had to take it apart that time.

8. jonnytruant macrumors member

jonnytruant

My scroll bar stopped working as well! So I just took it apart and cleaned the entire housing that the ball rests in. You wouldn't believe the amount of dirt that gets in there! If you do this, be careful not to break any parts or lose any of the pieces to the trackball housing. Took me maybe 15 minutes.:D

Jonny:apple:

9. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

What are you afraid will happen to you if you mention that you work at John Lewis?

10. mukabulet macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

I guess it's the upcoming mighty mouse.. is this what you're guys have been talking about..?
    well.. if it is for real, I'm gonna buy it for sure.. cool!

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Now that was a cool mouse, I loved the adjustable pressure for clicking.

I still don't know why people want a multi-touch sensor on a mouse, do you realise how annoying it would be to use?

I think the current one is fine, just need to be updated to a laser sensor like the wireless one.

12. mukabulet macrumors newbie

Well, I'm so agree with you.. that multi-touch sensor on a mouse are sometimes bugging me.. but.. well.. to be honest, they worked really good hehe..

13. Picturesnap thread starter macrumors newbie

People will start banging about extended warranty.
    And of course, it's against house rules to discuss things like stock control with the outside world.

I didn't say that... right?

14. Picturesnap thread starter macrumors newbie

Pro Mouse.
    Oh how I miss you.
    Why did you have to die... you had your faults (no scroll wheel) but you did everything else so well... and you looked good with my blackbook too!

*heavy sigh*

15. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I'd love an improved Mighty Mouse, though I do like the current one fine. The one with my iMac stopped scrolling up, so I just called Apple and they shipped me a new mouse. Gotta love AppleCare...

But a new mouse with a ball that wasn't prone to gunk would be nice.