New Mini - External HD help

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Pokernut, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Pokernut macrumors member

I use my external HD to store all my pictures/music/movies etc. I used it with my old Mac Mini and everything worked fine. I recently sold my old mini and purchased the new one. When I connected my HD to the new mini all the photos are gone?? All my music/movies are still there and work fine, but all the folders which I have my pictures in are either empty or have a thumbs.db icon.

When I check the properties of each picture folder it still shows that pictures are in there because of the size. I have no idea what is going on. Btw I use a Maxtor 1tb hd.

Any help with this would be really appreciated.

2. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

Try importing your entire hard drive into iPhoto. It might find the photos?

3. Pokernut thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I tried that, I get an error saying iPhoto doesn't recognize the files.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

There was a setting on old versions of iphoto about moving the photos into the iphoto library. I don't know if that moved them but I quit using it and manage my files manually. I did not like the system messing with the file locations like itunes does with the music if you allow itunes to manage the file locations.

I hop that's not the case for you. If it is, perhaps you took a full back of the old mini before selling it and/or used the migration tool to move your accounts and apps to the new mini.

Good luck tracking them down.

Cheers,