New Mini or Referb 27" iMac????

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Newfiebill, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Newfiebill macrumors regular

Newfiebill

Am I missing something here?

I can either pay 1,150.00 for a 2011 Mini with DCore i7, 750 HDD, Superdrive, with no keyboard, monitor or mouse/trackpad, and a 256 GPU, or

I can spend 1,450.00 and get a referb 2011 iMac 27" Qcore i5 1TB HDD 512 GPU HD Camera, Speakers, Mouse/trackpad, keyboard. plus the 27" monitor to boot....

I think my Mac Mini Days just ended with this pricing.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

And when it comes to upgrading, you don't need to buy another machine with a built in monitor... :rolleyes:

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

You're missing an understanding of your needs. If you need the Mini, no iMac will do. If you need an iMac, no Mini will do.

4. eoren1 macrumors 6502

I was going to post the same question/dilemma. I'm looking at the $799 Mini vs the 1400 iMac 27 refurb. My use is predominately photography and I already have a good monitor (that would be a secondary display with the iMac).
    I was going back and forth on this with a friend and came up with the following:

+ Mini
    Cheaper
    Looks like can do aftermarket SSD upgrade which should offer best bang/buck upgrade (until TB accessories come out)
    Becomes HTPC in 1-2 years when ivy bridge iMac comes out with USB3 and some other peripherals that I really want

-Mini
    Wonder if the dual i5 is fast enough for my purposes (lightroom/photoshop)

+iMac
    More powerful
    Larger display (than what I have now)

-iMac
    No SSD aftermarket
    No upgrading next year to ivy bridge/usb3
    More expensive by $700

5. err404, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

At it's core, the Mac Mini is an entry level machine. The iMac is a mid-high level machine. There is no sense trying to compare the cost effectiveness of a maxed out BTO to a refurb.

Unfortunately Apple does not make a midrange headless machine.

6. zedsdead macrumors 68040

It seems that the Mini will benefit you the most in the long run. If you can definitely upgrade the next time the iMac sees an update, then I would stick to that plan. You will have a more than capable machine for now, and then a really powerful one next year plus an HTPC.

7. EasyRider macrumors regular

EasyRider

Great point! But please consider you could sell the potential iMac in 1-2 years and pick up a used mini. And also the potential loss in "productivity" by going mini over imac for 1-2 years (larger screen, faster processor)

The mini is a great computer, just wished it offered a better value.

8. xheathen macrumors 6502

I really wish people would stop saying "Mini + all this crap" compared to "iMac".

Those that are in the market for a mini won't be buying a super drive, or most likely not upgrade to the 750gb drive. So it's not $1150 versus $1400. It's more like $799 + $40 for an external DVD drive. Then down the road $200 for an aftermarket SSD.