New Mini or SSD in 2010 Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mtreys, Dec 14, 2014.

1. mtreys macrumors member

I currently have the mid 2010 model. I have the RAM maxed out. It still seems a little bit sluggish at times when I have quite a bit of things open. I know that installing an SSD would help out a little bit, but would that be a better route compared to purchasing a newer model Mini? I have an MBA that I use for school, so my Mini isn't really vital other than being what I use to store my music, photos, etc. on.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

As long as you don't do much gaming or video processing work, the 2010 Mini is just fine. I would do the SSD install instead of upgrading for just the faster processor speed.

3. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

I'd say its entirely down to your daily use. I just bought a 2010 mini and has put in 8gb of ram and my old macbook pro SSD in it. I mainly use it as a HTPC though but I think it still would hold up for easier office work and stuff like that.

The SSD makes for a big difference.

4. mtreys thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good. I'll pick one up and install it over the holiday break. Is there anything that I should look out for when purchasing an SSD? Thanks for your help guys.

5. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

You don't need to get one of the superfast ones because the drive is bottlenecked by the SATA II connection.

6. mtreys thread starter macrumors member

7. Dsnoops macrumors newbie

Added a Crucial MX100 256GB ssd to my 2010 Mini. It makes that old baby fly.

8. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Same here. Perhaps not a new mini but a lot of upgrade for the money.

9. karatekidk macrumors regular

I got my late 2009 mini (2.53ghz) professionally upgraded with 8GB ram and 500gb Samsung 840 evo SSD, and the difference is night and day. I can use multiple applications at the same time, and EyeTV hybrid I have been using doesn't lag at all. Yeah, no USB3, but I am still glad about what I did.

10. mtreys thread starter macrumors member

Good info. Am going to pick up an SSD with some BB gift cards I'm getting for Christmas. Thanks for the help everyone!