new mini ... short monitor cable. WTH!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MattyO, Aug 15, 2011.

1. MattyO, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

MattyO macrumors regular

Have to admit that after waiting 3 weeks for my new mini to turn up (I live on a tiny island in the pacific) that I was pissed :mad: when I saw how short the monitor cable is. Now I have to hope that the store has an adapter for it so that I can finally use the mini. If not, I'll have to wait another week or so to get one delivered in the mail.

Very disappointed, but I am sure that once I manage to get the right cable that I will love the thing. :)

My monitor is an LG 26' 1080P

Should have checked the apple site beforehand to see what was in the box. my fault.

2. GGJstudios, Aug 15, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not a monitor cable. It's an adapter. From Mac mini - Technical Specifications:
    There are other cables and adapters on the Apple Store site:
    ScreenCap 15.png

3. MattyO thread starter macrumors regular

gotcha. Yeah. I am not a computer guy and thought I would be able to "plug and play" so to speak.

Just checked and on the back of my monitor it has a DVI input and a DSUB input. Which is better to use to get the most out of the monitor or are they the same?

thanks for any help.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any DVI cable should work quite well. Here's a few to get your search started.

5. MattyO thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much for your help. Will check the store here on then island first. Fingers crossed they have it. Otherwise will have to wait another week or so.

6. GrendelsBane macrumors newbie

Any DVI cable should work, with the supplied adaptor plugged into a USB port.

However, I would recommend not using the supplied adaptor and getting a Mini Display Port to DVI cable. That way you're using the proper video out port and not the USB port. These cables are NOT available at the Apple store, but can be found easily online fairly cheaply,eg:

http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1218

I got a Mini Display Port to Display Port cable from them for $19 to connect my 2011 mini to a 24" Dell and it works beautifully.

Have fun!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The supplied adapter plugs into the HDMI port, not a USB port. USB ports have nothing to do with the Mac mini's display connectivity.

8. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

???

Is your monitor a television? Otherwise wouldn't your computer monitor come with cables?

9. MattyO thread starter macrumors regular

No its a 26 inch LG Flatron 1920 X 1200 computer monitor. It has a DVI input and a DSUB input.

10. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

But it didn't come with cables?

11. MattyO thread starter macrumors regular

Do you mean an HDMI to DVI? I don't think the 2011 mini has display port inputs ...

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it may have come with a DVI to DVI cable, which you can plug into the HDMI to DVI adapter that came with your mini.

13. MattyO, Aug 15, 2011

MattyO thread starter macrumors regular

I bought it used but the guy previously used it with his PC. He gave me a 15 pin (VGA?) cable and what looks like a USB cable with a squarish plug at the other end (it has a usb symbol on it). It looks like it goes into the monitor but I didn't think you could a USB port with a monitor. Can you?

Sorry I have no idea what the correct names are for these cables as I said I am computer illiterate.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most common video interfaces on external computer displays and TVs

15. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

VGA Cable end - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Vga-cable.jpg

DVI Cable end - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Dvi-cable.jpg

Figure out which one of those would fit into the back of your monitor - it is most likely the DVI. If so, get yourself a DVI cable. They are cheap and plentiful :)

As for the USB, your monitor probably has some USB ports on the side or something to plug things into - that port on the back is to go to the computer so that the ports can be attached to your computer.

16. MattyO, Aug 15, 2011

Thanks for everyones help. I'll head up to the electronics store later and see what they have.

looks like my monitor comes with a VGA input and a DVI input.

17. MattyO thread starter macrumors regular

Belkin HDMI - DVI

All the store had was a Belkin HDMI - DVI. I guess this will work though it was 40 bucks, which I thought was a bit steep.

Is Belkin a good brand? Or are there better cheaper alternatives?

18. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

The Belkin is fine, but as you said just over priced. The bottom line is are you now up and running?

What's your thoughts on the mini?

19. MattyO thread starter macrumors regular

I'm actually at work right now so have to wait till I get home to check teh mini out. very excited. I am sure it is going to blow my 5-6 year old Powerbook G4 out of the water.

I am going to order an AMC cable off of newegg for 19 bucks and take this one back though as the Belkin one had some pretty bad reviews ...

20. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Sounds like a smart move to save yourself some bucks!

Oh Yeah, you are going to love this new mini, little doubt about it. hehehe

21. Mr.C macrumors 601

The Thunderbolt connection can also be used as a mini display port.

22. MattyO, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

Finally managed to get the mini set up and going.

Had a few problems synching my dell BT mouse, but went to the store and bought a usb magic mouse for set up. Seems like a lot of people had problems with BT keyboards and their mice.

Wow, this mini rocks. Huge difference to my 6 year old powerbook g4. loving this thing.

23. jai-nice macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for the info, I'm considering buying the mini and now I know what I need.