Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Hope they get the iX CPU's. Can't wait to buy one to hook it up with my 27" LED Cinema Display! :cool:

Well, I think more people would be complaining if they put the Core 2 Duo in the mini again with better graphics.
Plus, since production is done, or being scaled down on the Core 2 Duos, Apple is running out of options.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Well, I think more people would be complaining if they put the Core 2 Duo in the mini again with better graphics.
Plus, since production is done, or being scaled down on the Core 2 Duos, Apple is running out of options.

Yes, they're pretty much forced to give several Macs the same treatment. There are lots due in for an update!

chenry

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I really hope so, I really want to upgrade my Mac Mini 2,1 (1.83GHz) though I can't see me getting rid of it, its a great little machine. Can do a lot more than people give it credit for.

Colin

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I really hope so, I really want to upgrade my Mac Mini 2,1 (1.83GHz) though I can't see me getting rid of it, its a great little machine. Can do a lot more than people give it credit for.
No need to get rid of that nice machine. You could have two Minis (the 2011 Mini and your old one) at the same time doing different tasks. I have two Minis (early and late 09) and reckon I'll add a third at some point. Not sure though whether the new Mini will be worth it or not for me.

With a C2D Mini like yours you could max out the RAM to 4GB (3GB usable) and install Lion on it. You could then use it as a server. Using old Minis as home servers is going to be a really effective use to extend their useful life once Lion comes around. You don't need your fastest machine to be your home server.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Home (file) servers don't need much performance at all, and entertainment servers only need enough to play video, so if what you have works there is no need to replace.

I replaced a 6 year old Dell I was using as a server with a Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server a year ago because the old system was a power hog and I wanted some services it couldn't offer. It has 6 TB of drive capacity. I've got an 8 year old Dell that I still use as a music server. Two other (white) minis as entertainment servers -- one I bought when the new aluminum models came out because it cost less and I knew they did the job.

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
No need to get rid of that nice machine. You could have two Minis (the 2011 Mini and your old one) at the same time doing different tasks. I have two Minis (early and late 09) and reckon I'll add a third at some point. Not sure though whether the new Mini will be worth it or not for me.

With a C2D Mini like yours you could max out the RAM to 4GB (3GB usable) and install Lion on it. You could then use it as a server. Using old Minis as home servers is going to be a really effective use to extend their useful life once Lion comes around. You don't need your fastest machine to be your home server.

I totally agree with you.

I have 3 minis running around the house. One is a server and the other 2 are HTPC's they work great in streaming HD video, music etc.

Wonderful little machines.

-Ken-

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Oregon, USA
I have a '10 Mac Mini which is more than adequate for most tasks outside of heavy gaming or video editing. Great HTPC!

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I'm hoping that the new Minis have "i" processors so I can sell my original Mac Pro and replace it with a Mini. Mini with i processor and up to 8GB of RAM should be all the horsepower I need for photo editing and casual video editing.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
entertainment servers only need enough to play video, so if what you have works there is no need to replace.
Unfortunately the current Mac Minis don't handle HDTV Sport in EyeTV well. I have two 09 Minis, but I think philipma1957 tried it out on the 2010 Mini and got the same result. In fact I think it was him talking about it that reminded me of the problems I'd had when I tried watching HD Sport on my 09 Minis. I'd really like to use progressive scan and for the picture to be perfect like it should be watching HDTV.

Hopefully if the new Minis get a decent upgrade like the 13" MBPs the problem with watching HD sport will be gone.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I think it's a given we will see the dual core i5 like the new MBP. It needs
a 500gb HD too.

Sure hope it comes out this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.