New Mini, Video Blinks off/on after waking. Should I return it?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Skirush, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Skirush macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2012
    I think other owners have this same issue. After waking, the video will come on and display on the monitor just fine. Then after a minute or two, the video will blink off, and then back on again after a second. This seems to only happen after the computer has been asleep and then I go to use it again. It's not a huge problem, but it's annoying since I just got this thing literally days ago. I didn't expect any issues with it.

I have an hdmi cable with a DVI adapter. But, it shouldn't have anything to do with that. From my reading online, it seems that people disagree with the best approach. Some people say return it for a new one, others say to just deal with it.

Should I return it, or just deal with it?
  2. strongs macrumors member

Jul 16, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Only you can answer THAT question.

Personally I'm not buying until they resolve the issue.

There is a workaround if you get a mini display port to DVI adapter this seems to eradicate the issue completely.

Something like this:

The issue only occurs if you use the HDMI port or a HDMI Cable (even if using an adapter)
  3. MrXiro macrumors 68040

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I had this issue... only saw it twice though.
    But for the last two days I HAVE NOT seen anything, it's either happening after I stepped away or it stopped happening. I did change my power saving settings to never sleep the hard drive. (The one that gives you the option that is up to 3 hours/Off in power saving settings. Blanking on the verbiage right now.)