New Mini vs used G5, which to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chefhow, Sep 28, 2008.

1. chefhow macrumors newbie

Hi all, I am looking at buying my first Apple and I have $700 to spend. I have done endless pricing research and am at an impass. I can get either a used iMac G5 basic model from eBay or off Craigslist or I can get a new Mini at my local store. I have an LCD screen already so that is not part of the equation. The computer will be for home use with minimal web updates but nothing major. Lots of music, photo and video, some business application, and I would like to hook it up to the stereo. Should I go ahead and get an unwarranted iMac or buy a new Mini. Thanks in advance for helping a noob :D

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

This question has been asked before, mostly the advice is: go for the mini. It's faster (processor) and probably has more ram. Plus, if something is wrong you have your first year of warranty. The mini has more power.

Good luck choosing.

edit: as the others tell you: wait for the update

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

What kind of condition is the iMac? If it is a Rev. B (With iSight), and has leopard and some more RAM, I'd go for the G5

4. chefhow thread starter macrumors newbie

No iSight, 1gb RAM, 1.8GHz, 80gb HD with Leopard and the dics.

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

G5 is a dead end plus a new Mini should be coming after a year and a half of nothing. Wait a few weeks and get the new Mini or whatever replaces it.

7. California macrumors 68040

California

I went the G5 route. Got a 1.8ghz single that takes eight gigs of ram.

Happy. Paid 550. Put five gigs in and very happy.

8. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The OP is talking about an iMac G5... not a PowerMac.

I would go with the Mini since Snow Leopard likely won't support PPC if you ever want to upgrade plus the Mini is definitely faster than the iMac.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

With the iMac you are also paying for a screen but since you already have a screen I would go with the mini.

The only G5 I would consider at $700 would be a dual CPU Powermac G5. Since it is highly upgradeable: 8GB RAM, 2 SATA HD's, upgradeable video, other expansion slots. But if you are not looking to tinker with upgrading then a Mini would suffice.

Though unless you need it immediately the mini is using very old tech for a new computer. I would wait for a refresh.

10. Desamell Guest

Go for the Mini because the POwerMac wont support Snow Leopard

11. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

You can't say that for sure, because there are some files in snow leopard that indicate ppc support, check this out http://tinyurl.com/4olghz until snow leopard is released this is all speculation but your safest bet is on the mini.

12. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

13. chefhow thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I have been talking about. Im not sure where the idea of a PowerMac came from. I am trying to compare an iMac G5 to a NIB Mini base model w/superdrive.

14. slu macrumors 68000

slu

This is a no brainer if you already have a display: get the new mini.

I say this as a iMac G5 user myself. In my opinion, the only G5 I would consider is a a dual processor PowerMac.

15. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

That sounds like a Rev. A iMac G5 (and a rather unfortunate misspelling of discs), which I'd personally avoid. Early iMac G5s are known for logic board problems and many other issues. Wait, and hope a new mini comes out soon

16. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Go for the new Mini.

The processor screams, the included applications and OS will be up to date (with more functionality), you will get a one year warranty with the purchase, and you can run multiple operating systems on it.

The only major weakness of the Mini is the graphics card. So, as long as you are not using Final Cut Pro or plan on doing intense gaming, then you should be fine with the Mini.

Let me know what you think.

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

An Intel-based Mini runs FCP as well as any other 1.83 or 2 gHz Mac.

18. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Then, why does Apple's website say it is not compatible?

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It does "run" FCP, but there is a graphics chip requirement. Unless you mean just FCP, and not the entire suite. Advice for the OP, just go for the mini, but wait until october 14, apple is long overdue for a major update. older machines aren't worth it, you're better off with warranty and a brand spankin new machine that has newer tech inside it.

20. chefhow thread starter macrumors newbie

21. akm3 macrumors 68020

Either the laptop line gets updated or everyone speculates they will be on a future Tuesday.

22. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I don't know. Why does Apple's web site also say the Mini can take only 2 gigs of RAM and the MacBook Pro can only take 4 gigs, when they can take 3.1 and 8 gigs respectively?

The poster did not say Final Cut Studio, he said Final Cut Pro, which works perfectly well on a Mini. There are a couple of filters that leverage the gpu (as do Color and Motion) that would be slowed down, but otherwise it's all done by the cpu.

23. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

possible updates to macbooks/macbook pros/mini

you can wait a few weeks to see what might come, right?

24. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Go for the mini, it's newer and comes with a warranty.