New minimal weather app - Solar

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by i0Nic, Jul 25, 2012.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

There has been a glut of new weather apps recently. One that has stood out to me is Solar. If you are familiar with Clear you will understand the interface of Solar - gesture based, minimal and a strong use of colour.

I've really enjoyed Clear and now I'm getting a lot of use out of Solar too. There are no superflous features that add noise to the experience. Instead you are presented with a beautiful screen with rich typography and clean design. Gestures are used to obtain additional information like forecasts and weather for different cities.

Has anyone else found this app, or any other weather apps you like?

I wrote a blog post about it if you're interested about Solar and similar apps that use this digitally authentic design language - http://www.peterpetrovski.com/post/28032060238/the-authentically-digital-interface

2. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

How about WTHR?

It's technically skeumorphic yet it's also really well designed.

[​IMG]

3. Thomas P. macrumors member

Thomas P.

Haven't used it yet, but the look is quite elegant and very decent, seems like a cool weather, will suite the retina display, I hope it has the support and the colors can be displayed clearly in the high quality display!

4. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

It looks nice but it's functionality is not great. It says 'Sunny' at night when it should say clear instead. The forecasts are in a very low contrast grey which makes it hard to read. I find Solar to be more useful and just as beautiful.

Also it doesn't remember to stick to Celcius. When I close the app then open it again the next day it reverts to Fahrenheit. This could obviously be fixed in an update but a bit concerning such as basic bug is in there. Also it seems unnecessary to have a big switch on the main screen of the app for this function, which is something the user should never have to switch around once set for the first time.

5. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

It got updated. :)

6. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

What's new in the update?

7. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

- Hourly Forecast when you tap the forecast table
    - Fully automated night mode (pictured below)
    - Subtle sound effects
    - Fahrenheit/Celsius settings are remembered
    - Increased locations accuracy
    - Updated retina app icon

[​IMG]