New mini's Final Cut Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bestthereis27, Mar 4, 2009.

1. bestthereis27 macrumors member

Hello I was wondering if anyone can answer this. Can the new mini's with the new video cards run final cut pro? I am not a video editor but do some small projects once in awhile. I would max out the mini at 4GB of ram running (2) 24" monitors.

Would final cut pro be too sluggish with this setup?
    Thanks.

2. bobdard macrumors regular

Yes it would be sluggish. The 9400M is okay for basic photography work, and perhaps some light video editing (iMovie-style) but for more pro Final Cut stuff, I get something else. Perhaps the iMac with the GT120 would be good, but I don't know much about that card.

I have a 2.0GHz MacBook with 4GB and although its alright for Aperture use, I would never want to run FCP on it.

3. JediSkipdogg macrumors member

I have a 2.2 Ghz Macbook (Dec. 2007) w/3 GB of RAM and it does Final Cut fine. In a huge rendering the fans turn on and it gets pretty warm, but never above 180 degrees. I've tried Motion on it and it does not handle that very well, very sluggish. That's why I bought a new iMac (refurbished) yesterday.

I'd see no problem with doing video editing. It's when you start doing rendering that it may get take a while but it plays back everything real time with no sluggishness. I can't say with the 9400 video card how that will change things though.