new mixing chair

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by nixoblivion, Aug 20, 2008.

1. nixoblivion macrumors newbie

Hello.
    im new to these forums (just found them) and want to start with a "funny" question :p i know this is more for mac related questions than "studio construction", but i cant seem to find a good forum for audio...
    i want to get a new chair for my working area. so i was thinking of getting something of this sort http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/40103100 with the back going up till the head so i can rest my head.

now the question is, will this be problematic when mixing since there will be a "wall" right behing my ear? i didnt think of it until i was in the store, almost bought it already. the material seems to be foam in the (fake)leather coating. will this create reflections that might distort my mix??

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it will be problematic. you can simulate it just by holding something behind your head.

3. jv17 macrumors member

if you are going to remix a song in your house that will be a good one..and if you are a dj and you are going to play in a bar..i dont think you will need it..

4. nixoblivion thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i tried it in the store yesterday with holding my hands behind my ears and i did hear quite a difference. its a lot more bright than with nothing. but i was hoping you guys would say its fine :p
    i wasnt sure if maybe the material (foam) might not be as drastic as your hands since its soft and often used for accoustic control!

so you are saying i shouldnt get it?

btw. its about mixing in my room. i dont dj or anything, ill just be sitting there for mixing!

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i would avoid it; imho you're just creating problems.

the foam interior of the headrest won't do much for acoustics if it's wrapped in leather. and more importantly, it's in the wrong place (i.e. too close to your head).

6. nixoblivion thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont get it. your saying the foam WONT do much. so its not a problem?

well i tested it today. i put a piece of foam behind my head while listening to music and didnt hear a drastic change. putting my hands behind my head did make a big difference!
    so yes there was a change with the foam but it wasnt very big, so im thinking it might not be a problem. but i want to do a frequency test of my room anyways, so i will test it with the foam behind the mic and see what happens!

7. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

No, he's saying that something solid wrapped around foam will make it's acoustic benefits obsolete due to reflection of the sound waves. He also mentions that this isn't even worth considering in the first place (even if it was just foam with nothing wrapped around it) due to the fact that it's so close to your head.
    You'll either have to cut off the head rest or buy a different chair.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

9. nixoblivion thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you guys think of this? will this give me an accurate and especially a reliable messurement?

thx for the info until now though. im very new to accoustics and the such so trying to gather up as much info as possible.

10. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Depends on the rest of your room, equipment, etc.

You could try something like this:

[​IMG]

I suggest however that you go and find some websites/forums that specializes in room acoustics. Read up as much as you can on the subject.