New "MMS OPT OUT" on AT&T bill?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Apr 12, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

So this month I noticed a new thing under the Messaging section on my AT&T iPhone 3G bill. Directly beneath my "UNLIMITED MESSAGING" it said "MMS OPT OUT". I've seen this mentioned in other threads but nothing specific on what it means or why it's on the bill now. Seems like they're poising themselves to charge for MMS as soon as 3.0 comes out.

Anyone else have any insight?

Thanks - Eric

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

this better not apply to those who dont have iphones. ppl like regular phones or blackberrys or PDA's cuz if they make SMS and MMS seperate for the unlimited text
    im going to be very very mad. and theres going to be some serious rioting

3. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

No, there won't. There may be nerd rage on the Internet and maybe some nasty calls to AT&T call centers but hardly riots.

4. Radam macrumors member

they wont charge more money, the opt out has been on my bill for a few months.

5. dkh587 macrumors regular

Not sure why it would come up on your bill all of a sudden, but that is a feature that is added on to lines with iPhones, to block all MMS. It's not so AT&T can start charging.:rolleyes:

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It's on there now for accounting purposes to get ready to turn on MMS for the iPhone come OS 3.0 release. MMS will be included in the standard messaging bundles just like the rest of the phones on AT&T's network.

7. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

If you look at your bill online it says:
    MESSAGING 1500 03/19-04/18 15.00 15.00
    Includes:
    Multimedia Messaging
    Text Messaging
    Well whatever type of texting plan you picked. As you can see it says it includes MMS

8. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I've had the MMS OPT OUT on my bill ever since I got my iPhone months ago.

9. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Well I used to always get a link to the viewmymessage website, which while it was annoying to fill in the password everytimeit was better than nothing.

10. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

11. scotty588 macrumors 6502

I'm guessing the MMS opt out means to send the viewmymessage.com txt to your phone rather than the actual picture/sound.

12. superxero3 macrumors regular

I think you are right. I have a friend with an iphone on an individual plan (with the standard "iphone unlimited text messages."), and he has had "OPT-OUT" on his bill since the first day. He has always received the viewmymessage.com text messages when an MMS is recieved.

I, on the other hand, have never seen that on my bill. I am on a family plan with the unlimited messaging for families plan. I have never received a text from viewmymessage.com, my phone would just never alert me that an MMS has attempted to make it to my phone. But, since i am jailbroken, i downloaded swirleymms, used the first set of AT&T settings, and it worked liked a charm!

13. ViPa macrumors 6502a

MMS OPT OUT has always been there..it actually blocks MMS, i know this because i worked at at&t a few months ago