Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new set of iPhone 7 images have emerged online, this time showing a mockup of the larger-screened, 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus in Space Black (via TechTastic). Earlier in the year, a sketchy rumor hinted that Apple might be introducing a "Deep Blue" color option in the 2016 iPhone lineup, but more recent reports have clarified that "Deep Blue" will ultimately be a darker version of the current Space Gray, now depicted in today's pictures.

Although the Space Black images fall largely in line with recent mockups and image leaks for the iPhone 7, there are a few inconsistencies. The dual-lens camera bump on the iPhone appears slightly less raised than previous depictions of the back of the iPhone 7, and the mockup designates the model as an "S" edition, which has been lacking from any previous reports and remains an unlikely moniker given the name schemes of the current generation iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.

iPhone-7-Plus-space-black-2.jpg

The pictures also include a Smart Connector on the back of the iPhone 7 Plus, which, at best, has been an inconsistent rumor leading up to the launch of the new iPhone next month. More recently, mockups and image leaks have leaned more towards Apple's decision to not include the Smart Connector in the iPhone 7. The feature could also be specific to the 5.5-inch iPhone Plus, or a third "Pro" model.

iPhone-7-Plus-space-black-1.jpg

Elsewhere, the Space Black variant keeps up with rumors of what the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will look like: no 3.5 mm headphone jack, two speakers (one likely to be cosmetic), and rearranged antenna bands on the back. Apple might be preparing an all-new, flush Home Button on the next-generation iPhone devices as well. But, like most image leaks, it's hard to be certain in the new pictures whether the Home Button is a new, pressure-sensitive option or just the traditional physical switch.

iPhone-7-Plus-space-black-3.jpg

The new pictures follow a collection of high-resolution photos of a Gold mockup of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus that were posted last week. Apple is expected to reveal the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus on September 7, with pre-orders beginning on September 9 and a potential launch one week later on September 16.

Article Link: New Mockup Shows What the Rumored 'Space Black' iPhone 7 Plus Might Look Like

Reactions: WigWag Workshop

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Glossy! Why Apple got rid of a black iPhone I'll never understand. It just makes sense.

I'd love to see a truely white color too, not just a silver back. These things are anodized, so theoretically any color would be possible.

Dislikes: antenna bands, protruding camera, smart connector dots

Side note:
iPad mini 4 wifi in my opinion is the gold standard in terms of beautiful clean design. No antenna bands, no protruding camera (not even an unnecessary ring around the camera module), no smart connector dots.

4266101cv12d.jpg

Perfection in the simplicity of the design.
ipad-mini-4-201509-gallery1_2.jpg

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I always liked the darker black, and the mock-up color looks nice.

That huge camera bump, not so much. I think I am going to wait for the 8 anyways, or maybe the SE.

I wonder if a darker black SE will ever come out?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That space black mock up looks very nice. I'd like to see that happen as well as a deep blue rumored earlier, though I'm not putting any money on the blue one happening.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Apple has starved it's enthusiasts long enough they'll get excited over anything.

The pro Apple media is working hard to help Apple create a buzz over the rather boring iPhone 7.

But wait... It's not out yet, say the faithful.

The rest of us know Apple's got nothing exciting to offer. That's just how it is now that Apple's an old conservative company.

Schwyz

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
a tree
Apple may pull off a smashing iPhone release simply because of its color. Figures.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxsix

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Samsung Note 7 here I come.
Can't believe I'm finally making the switch.
Hope Apple brings back its A game with the iPhone 8.

I too am looking forward to the 8 based off of the rumors of the 7 and 8.

If Apple brings back the glass body, that would be great. The iPhone 4s was my favorite design by far and I would like to see something similar in the 8.

The 6 looks too much like the other brands and it is a shame that the 7 will probably have a similar look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.