Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Why is this in the notebooks section? Maybe it shouldn't be, but the project will be powered by a 12" powerbook logic board.

Im still working on my tablet mod, but I've some free time to contemplate while i wait on some parts (and burn through midterms). Due to a disheartening series of events, my original logic board went partially bad. it works great except the fuse that powers the inverter board has blown out (...most likely - it could also be the LCD backlight thats blown out, but i've been told that that is less likely). we'll find out soon, as i've another logic board on the way.

So what to do with the old logic board? i figured itd be hard to sell, and would only sell for little if i did manage to find a buyer. Assuming that an external monitor would still work, i confined the scope of the project to something with a self powered external display. I decided that id also like to continue explore realm of touch screen fun. and what was one more thing that id like to have? A DVR.

Solution: An all in one 19" touch screen, DVR equipped Mac.

After i decided on that, I luckily found an eyeTV on the cheap on craigslist, right in my own college town. That was just perfect timing. Im in the process of getting the miscellaneous powerbook parts I'll need, in addition to an LCD for testing, and a large (300gb+) hard drive.

Display:
Keytec, the company that makes the touch window I'm using for my tablet, sells 19" windows for $220. A 19" monitor costs between $150-$200 (maybe a little less if you get lucky on craigslist or ebay. Keytec also integrates their tech into NEC LCD's and sells them for around $325. Yea, thats still out of my budget for now, but it actually is cheaper than buying the 2 separately, and would spare me the hassle of assembling the two together (one of the harder parts of the tablet mod). So for the time being, I'm going to pick up a cheapo 15" dell monitor for planning and preparing.

Note I wrote the above and then later realized that I misread the keytec site - by $700. The integrated solution is more like $1000. So I will be looking for a 19" again.

Case:
Probably some type of plexiglass build. I'd like to try to mimic the glass overlays on higher end Sony TV's. I'd be experimenting with this more than anything, as it really will define the project (an all in one DVR isnt an original idea, i know. thats why id like to spend time making it look really good).

Where to use it?
Small rooms (a dorm room), a kitchen, meeting room, etc. Really, any small room where desk space is precious and where you'll often be on your feet.
Like with my tablet mod, I want to focus the mod on what I'd have fun experimenting with, and less on what is, well, practical.

Despite this fact though, I'd like to hear what you'd expect from such a mod. I'm sure they'll be plenty of you who think this is a useless waste of time and money, and you're most probably right ;).

Also, if you're already working on a similar mod, or know of similar mods, I'd love to see and discuss them.

Once again, I'll try to publish some details on my site, Mechie.org

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Another thought:
I was trying to think up some speaker intergration, and figured that id use speakers from my OnStage. On top of that, i figured i can some how integrate an ipod doc.

ganjagecko

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2007
sounds nice...

If you pull it off it's gonna be really nice. Be sure to post some pics.

One thing I would recommend is to stick with your basic idea until it works, and then add the rest. What I mean is, if you started with a DVR stick with that, and leave the iPod dock thing for later.

I'm studying electronics engineering and we do a lot of projects. They usually start to go wrong when we start getting fancy.

Cheers and good luck.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
If you pull it off it's gonna be really nice. Be sure to post some pics.

One thing I would recommend is to stick with your basic idea until it works, and then add the rest. What I mean is, if you started with a DVR stick with that, and leave the iPod dock thing for later.

I'm studying electronics engineering and we do a lot of projects. They usually start to go wrong when we start getting fancy.

Cheers and good luck.

Thanks for the input :) I'm a mechanical eng student myself, so I know EXACTLY what you mean. I wasn't planning on integrating until later on - i was just thinking out loud.

ganjagecko

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2007
ipod dock

Speaking of ipod docks, I've been planing to build an iPod dock for a while now, with amplifier, speakers, etc... I also have a 2-color led matrix that I think would look kind of cool with it.

Seeing that you're into modifying mac stuff, do you know where could I get some information for something like that? I know sparkfun sells the ipod plug, but I could use some extra ideas.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Speaking of ipod docks, I've been planing to build an iPod dock for a while now, with amplifier, speakers, etc... I also have a 2-color led matrix that I think would look kind of cool with it.

Seeing that you're into modifying mac stuff, do you know where could I get some information for something like that? I know sparkfun sells the ipod plug, but I could use some extra ideas.

not sure exactly what you're looking for, but if you havent already, id spend some time at a radioshack, exploring the contents of their drawers. They actually have quote a lot of stuff.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Just an update:
There's a short little video giving an intro to each major component (excluding the touch panel and the monitor that will be used - i'll have a new monitor, thanks to a great deal from user bearbo!)
Anyways, you can check the video out on YouTube or Mechie.org

feel free to comment :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.