'New' models and HDD to SDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by martinjm, Apr 28, 2015.

1. martinjm macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of buying a Macbook to replace my Laptop and running Windoze in a VM (I need it sometimes!).

Haven't quite worked out the differences in models, but probably a 13" Macbook Pro with 8GB.

However, there seem to be 2 types of these - the 'new' one and the other! With a noticable price difference. What's the difference between them?

And if I get the one with a HDD is it simple to swap for an SSD as this may be cheaper than buying an SSD one?

Thanks.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There's the MacBook Pro with Retina Display and the other, older, heavier, slower hunk of junk.

Don't buy the regular 13" MacBook Pro.

3. martinjm thread starter macrumors newbie

Chhers - I was looking at the retina's - the 2 in question appear to have the same spec, but there's over £100 price difference and the MF is 'new'.

MF840B/A
    MGX82B/A

If it's just a style thing I'll save the cash, but if it's technical I'll decide when I know the difference.

4. Trhodezy macrumors regular

I wholeheartedly recommend the Retina MacBook Pro, you'll regret not having it if the price difference is just a little over £100. Seriously.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Ok

...the top one is a 2014, haswell processor, IRIS 5100 graphics.

The bottom one is the latest broadwell processor, it has slightly better processor slightly better graphics (IRIS 6100) , force touch trackpad and an extra hour of battery life.

For £100 difference I'd go with the second one just to have the latest but thats down to your budget.

I also reccomend Amazon if shopping in the UK the best discounts tend to be there for new macs. The latest is actually cheaper on amazon!!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-display-Silver/dp/B00UNXGZQM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MacBook-13-3-inch-Laptop-core_i5/dp/B00MB5BPEC

Also take a look at refurbs on the apple store if looking at the 2014 earlier one. They have some great savings and they are as new with all apple warranty options included. No retinas available currently though!!!

6. martinjm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all, looks like the MGX82B/A with 8/512GB.