New Modem/Router Required.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Washac, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Washac, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Not having had to buy a router for quite sometime (o2 used to supply them) I now find myself in the position of having to purchase one, as o2 is selling its broadband business to sky, sky are not having my cash.

The provider I am looking at can supply a Technicolour TG582n, these are not very good by all accounts.

Would this be a better choice NETGEAR WGR614v9 ?

Or can anybody recommend anything else, I am in the UK if that helps.

2. Silvereel macrumors 6502

I've had terrible experiences with Netgear, but other people will disagree. I think you'd be better off paying a little more and getting an AirPort, either Express or Extreme, depending on the size of your home.

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Are you on ADSL, Cable or Infinity?

That affects your choices somewhat

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Poke around on this site : http://www.smallnetbuilder.com. Their forums are very good for this sort of stuff. The newer Asus are OK. If you have Apple kit then the AEs are good but not as featured as Asus or Netgear.

One of the general rules of ISPs is that they aren't that good at supplying routers. Do you want a modem and a router or just a router ?

5. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Not what I seek, my fault I have changed the main heading.

----------

adsl

6. Fozzee macrumors newbie

7. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Sorry my fault, have changed the header to Modem/Router

----------

yes, have seen that one and you recommend it so looks like that will be the one when I change providers.

Thanks.

8. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

If you have the budget and want pretty much be able to do anything with a good quality unit; the draytek 2830n is wonderful.

Very flexible (I am using a previous model and have 25 devices on my network all controlled by session, bandwidth, application restrictions etc).

Very very good routers and sooo flexible (I have a USB dongle with a PAYG sim in the back of mine : if the main line goes down it fails over automatically).

just a thought :)

About 180 new if you shop about or can be found used for about 120.

9. Silvereel macrumors 6502

Gotcha, sorry about that. Can't really give much advice there, but I'll still say I've had terrible experiences with Netgear in the past :)

10. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks for the thought but my home is only a few roomed flat, will keep it in mind though.

11. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Then I still think you should get a modem and a router as 2 boxes. The Draytek Vigor modem works fine as an ADSL modem, then you can get any brand of router to work with it (and change it at will).

12. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

yep fair enough.

I used to be ok (2 bed flat) but then my sister and nephew came to stay and my brother is sofa hopping.

I was stunned when I counted up all the phones, consoles, laptops, desktops, Apple TV's and printers :) Amazing how it adds up.

works nicely in a small network too.

13. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Hah, my dad's has ~30 devices in the MAC filter.

On-topic, if you're splitting the modem and router duties to 2 devices, I can't say enough about my Netgear N600 (WNDR3700). It's been rock-solid for 18 months, with some nice touches in the firmware (like labels to name a MAC address in the MAC address filter).

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Doing internet/gatways/networking for many, many years and Belkin is one of the worst routers out there.

15. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Actually, the fanciest thing he can buy in the UK is a AVM Fritz!Box, which allows you to control "smart wall outlets", and as far as the upper level models go, they have a DECT base station built-in, can receive and send faxes and be used as a voice machine. Among the 38 gailling other things they can do.
    [​IMG]