New Modem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BoxerBoy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. BoxerBoy macrumors member

I had fibre broadband installed today, the engineer also fitted a new modem and an ISP's router.

I want to ditch that router and continue using my Time Capsule which has been my router for a long time.

I tried connecting it and it just doesn't function with the new modem.

I think maybe I should reset the Time Capsule to it's factory settings and install it again.

Is this the right course of action ? and will my back ups still be available.

Advice would be welcome, thank you.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. BoxerBoy thread starter macrumors member

It is a modem supplied by British Telecom for Fibre Optic B/B, there will be a vast number in use in the UK.

On the Modem, the description is :- NGA ECI-CPE Modems
    Type 1B

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You might have to bridge it. ISPs usually have a FAQ page for integrating their stuff with your stuff.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Does this modem have an Ethernet port for the local LAN on it or is using filer for the local network? Did you check with ISP if you could replace it on their network (so you don't have to keep paying for it month to month)?

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I have the Virgin Super Hub and a TC. I found out how to put the TC in bridge mode on Virgins website. Just do the same search on your ISP website and you should be good to go. I assume you have the TC connected to the Modem by an Ethernet cable?