Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

BoxerBoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
England
I had fibre broadband installed today, the engineer also fitted a new modem and an ISP's router.

I want to ditch that router and continue using my Time Capsule which has been my router for a long time.

I tried connecting it and it just doesn't function with the new modem.

I think maybe I should reset the Time Capsule to it's factory settings and install it again.

Is this the right course of action ? and will my back ups still be available.

Advice would be welcome, thank you.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
You might have to bridge it. ISPs usually have a FAQ page for integrating their stuff with your stuff.

Comment

satcomer

macrumors 604
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Does this modem have an Ethernet port for the local LAN on it or is using filer for the local network? Did you check with ISP if you could replace it on their network (so you don't have to keep paying for it month to month)?

Comment

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I had fibre broadband installed today, the engineer also fitted a new modem and an ISP's router.

I want to ditch that router and continue using my Time Capsule which has been my router for a long time.

I tried connecting it and it just doesn't function with the new modem.

I think maybe I should reset the Time Capsule to it's factory settings and install it again.

Is this the right course of action ? and will my back ups still be available.

Advice would be welcome, thank you.
I have the Virgin Super Hub and a TC. I found out how to put the TC in bridge mode on Virgins website. Just do the same search on your ISP website and you should be good to go. I assume you have the TC connected to the Modem by an Ethernet cable?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.