New monitor advice - options listed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oddsocks, Jan 9, 2009.

1. oddsocks macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I work as a graphic designer and currently have an old 'Formac TFT 1900 AU3-0'. It's starting to look a bit old and could do with a replacement. With this in mind i've listed below 3 options which I thought looked ok, though in general I don't really know what the stand out features to look for in a monitor.

Apart from being used for design work, would be a mixture of print and web though tend not to do to much photo editing. I would also like to double it up as a tv which I can record from. Guessing an EyeTV would be a good option (advice please, i'm in the uk).

Final point would be that ideally I would like to wall mount the monitor, is this a fairly standard feature on monitors or is it some thing I need to look out for?

Initial options below;

Samsung SM2443BW
    BenQ V2400W
    Samsung SM2493HM

Budget would ideally be below £400.

Many thanks for your advice,

Keith

The monitor would be connected to a mac pro with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT

2. KelchM macrumors regular

From what you are saying you will be using this for I think I would avoid displays with TN panels.

I could be mistaken, but I believe all three displays you mentioned use TN panels.

Take a look at the Dell 2408WFP.

3. DavyC412 macrumors member

be careful with the samesung, some of their screens are made with cheap panels. i have a syncmaster 245BW and its really not that great. on the plus side it meant that it was dirt cheap.

4. oddsocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

I just had a quick look to see what a TN Panel is. As I understand the problems with it is that they do not display full 24 bit truecolour, which would be an issue when viewing video light and dark tones?

My other question would be that every one seems to recommend Dell monitors over Samsung, ViewSonic, and LG etc. Personally I never really took to much notice of Dell products.

----------------

Just watched a video review of the Dell 2408WFP and does seem like an excellent monitor. Could you tell me if this monitor can be wall mounted? Ideally I would like to go for a slim line mount but am not sure if this will make it difficult to plug the cables in.

The other review I watched was for the BenQ V2400W. Personally I prefer the look of this monitor but performance wise the Dell does seem to the sensible choice.

5. oddsocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to follow up with a question on the Dell 2408WFP monitor.

I've been having a look around for the best price to buy one. In doing this I have found out that there is a firmware update for the monitor. The newer versions seem to be about an extra £200, so was just wondering how big an issue the original version had?

I would not play games through the monitor but would watch films. Is the issue mainly to do with refresh rate on games?

Thanks

6. Jookbox macrumors 6502

i'm in the same boat, and i'm getting two 2408WFP monitors. my company bought me a pair of the 24" cinema displays, we waited almost 2 months for an adapter, and there doesn't seem to be one in sight. i think you would be happy with the dells. the other designers here use them and they look great.

as far as response time and refresh, that should be an issue if you use flash or aftereffects. otherwise no biggie.