New monitor advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rayjay86, Apr 23, 2017.

1. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

Im getting a 2016 MacBook Pro with touch bar, i7 8gb through work. My wife will be getting similar but non-touchbar version.

We've never had an external monitor before but we've found we are reading a lot more these days on the computer and decided to spring for one.

The main things are:
    - reading articles (the majority of what we'll use it for)
    - YouTube/video streaming
    - photoshop/Lightroom (amateur hobby not professional)
    - if she lets me, connecting a PS4...but this would be for very occasional stuff

I'll but speakers and keyboards etc obviously

I live in Australia so the pickings are a bit slim. Was looking at the LG 27UD88 (sold out almost everywhere as of this post - new stock coming in may).

Am open to other suggestions. I know almost nothing about monitor jargon so the 1440p and IPS and Freesync etc is lost on me

I want something that'll look great, not kill me eyes after 1-2h staring at it and will be holding its own a few years down the track

Thanks!

2. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

The LG 27UD88 looks like a nice one - 4K IPS (IPS is considered quality panel over the cheap TN panels). 4K is really easy on the eyes, especially for reading.

The Dell P2715K is comparable for your usage. It's also 4K IPS and an excellent value. It doesn't have a USB-C connector, but all you need is a quality USB-C to DisplayPort (or Mini DisplayPort) cable (~US$20)

Cheers!

3. rayjay86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for those, that lost is exhaustive!

The dell looks nice but I think I like the idea of a single cable for charging/display and using the hub at the back for peripherals (of which I'll have just the receiver for the keyboard/mouse at this time

Looks like the LG is coming out on top no matter how I look at it

4. killawat macrumors 65816

Yep, the LG is the only option in your case.

I'm not a huge fan of the LG though, I'd go for one of Dell's 4k and just get a TB3 dock later down the line.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Are you near any electronics stores that sell displays?

I ask because seeing a few displays in person might help you determine what type of resolution you want, and whether or not investing the money in a higher resolution display is financially justifiable or not. For some people, a 4k or even 5k display is totally justifiable. For others, a 1080p or 1440p is just fine. In many cases, you can buy two or three 1440p displays for the price of one 4k display - this might or might not be enough to offset the advantage of using just one cable, which often means a premium.

This talks a little about resolutions although it is gaming oriented. The viewing distance versus resolution is somewhat subjective.
    http://www.144hzmonitors.com/knowledge-base/screen-resolutions-720p-vs-1080p-vs-1440p-vs-4k-vs-8k/

Additionally, do you know if you want a matte or glossy display? Seeing one in person, would allow you to see how well the display deals with unwanted glare, and how well its brightness works in brighter rooms (especially important if you are placing the display near a source of natural daylight, where I would suggest considering a matte over a glossy finish.)

6. rayjay86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers for that

I was in an electronics store (equivalent of a Bestbuy...although not even remotely close to as good) here in Aus and had a look. The 5K display on the iMac was one of the most beautiful things I saw in that store. There was an Acer Predator near it that looked like crap in comparison (in my opinion), and I thought that was supposed to be one of the good ones.

I think at this stage, 4K is where I'm leaning and unfortunately where I am there aren't that many big computer stores showcasing multiple monitors.

Think I may need to just bite the bullet and buy the thing. The way I'm justifying it is that we're both selling our old macbook airs and that'll get us a couple hundred bucks to offset the price
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2017 ---
    Any reason to you don't like LG?

If I get a TB3 dock down the track, will I still need to connect the USB-C cable into another of the macbook pro ports for the charging?

The wife won't have the touchbar version (thinks its a waste) so she'll only have the two USB-C ports, meaning she'll have to have cables on either side of the laptop for charging and display?

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP:

Just because you have a new MacBook Pro with USB-c DOES NOT require that you use a display that connects with USB-c connectors.

There are plenty of non-USB-c displays that will work fine, even 4k ones. They can be connected via minidisplayport, etc.

I wouldn't buy the LG 5k display, seems like just too many problems with it.
    Actually, after having bought an LG tv that failed within 2 years and was essentially "un-repairable" (3rd party shop couldn't get parts), I don't think I'm going to buy an LG product again... (but that's just me)

8. rayjay86 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right, I'm just trying to find the option with the least cables to have flying around. The other one I've looked at is the Dell 2715Q which looks attractive and has some good reviews. I'd have to use display port but I understand if can transmit data as well, making the monitor function like a USB hub too (I've never use display port before)

It's currently $100 cheaper than the LG option