New monitor connectivity question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by crmoores, Mar 6, 2014.

1. crmoores macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I'll preface this with a warning that I am horribly behind times on current systems so beware!

I have an older Mac Mini with a mini display port and an HDMI port. I just purchased an Asus PA248Q 24" LED-lit LCD monitor. I connected it via a DVI connector at the monitor and an HDMI connector at the Mac mini. Is this a good connection or should I get a different adaptor and use the mini display port to DVI? I thought I'd read that HDMI --> HDMI was not an ideal situation, and that VGA is analog and not to be used.

Thanks for any help with this question

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Sure. That's a great way to connect it. Or you could have gone MDP to DVI. As long as it is a digital to digital connection, it really doesn't matter. There have been some issues with HDMI to HDMI (sometimes monitors get pegged then as TV's), but DVI is a perfectly acceptable choice.

3. crmoores thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

On a side note, I just returned a Dell S2440L that I failed to verify was Mac-compatible before buying (it is not, of course). It was recognized as a TV and the colors were off. It looked great in the shop when hooked to a PC, and I understand there are fixes out there. But that monitor panel was extremely glossy and reflective in my environment. I love the PA248Q though, the 16:10 is just so much better since I'm not viewing movies, etc.

4. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

Apparantly apple made sure third party screens don't look good. This thread would help: http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/forc...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

5. crmoores thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I've seen several of these and in that regard it's just a matter of looking at supported monitors.

I have to say the panel on this Asus PA248Q is stunning, and the physical features like the stand and connectivity are like nothing else out there at that price point!

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I use a displayport-to-VGA connection on my 27" Viewsonic 2770 -- and everything works just fine.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a digital-to-analog (DP to VGA) if it works.

Just use -whatever works best- for you, and don't worry about it.

7. jlus3, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  8. crmoores thread starter macrumors newbie

I already had the dvi --> hdmi cable but I would buy another cable if it made sense.

Thanks all!

9. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

No offense but why would dell shoot itself in the foot? They're renounced for their screens. Apple however has a good reason to boycot 3rd party screens. Why would dell install a mini dP if they didn't want to support macs ;)

10. jlus3, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  11. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

Perhaps you mean renowned...

Best!

12. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

probably sharp pays a fee to apple...

----------

indeed! was in doubt!!