New monitor recommendations for a new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bigloue, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Bigloue macrumors newbie

OK - I want to purchase a new Mac Pro 2.8Ghz (8-core) with the GeForce 8800 card.

I looked at the Apple Cinema HD 23" and 30" displays I was not impressed, let alone when your consider the price of the Apple monitors. Any rumors about new monitors by Apple, their current line-up is pretty dated.

Also other recommendations? Dell, etc..

One other question, if I will use this machine also for gaming, should I go with two 22" to 24" monitors versus one 30"?

Many Thanks,

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Gaming on two monitors? That's a little... difficult for FPS and RPGs, isn't it?

I have two Soyo DYLM24D6 displays that I haven't had a chance to use. Ever. Since I don't have my Mac Pro yet. They're great displays; no dead pixels, nice color gamut, etc...

I can't wait for my 3840x1200 pixels of desktop goodness.

3. Bigloue thread starter macrumors newbie

I researched the Soyo DYLM24D6 monitors the reviews were not good.

I am now leaning towards the Gateway XHD3000

4. maccanuck2006 macrumors member

I have been very happy with my Samsung 275T 27" monitor, although it needed some calibration out of the box. Price was excellent (~$900 CDN academic pricing). It uses a PVA panel instead of the more expensive S-IPS panels in the ACDs.

5. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

You might also want to check out the Samsung SyncMaster 305T 30" LCD monitor. Dell also has a couple of 30" monitors that they sell.

6. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I would just go with a 24" since that's plenty big for gaming. The Dell 2408fpw would be a good option. I'm not sure what panel that newer Dell uses though so whatever you get I would look into getting an S-IPS if you can or at least PVA. Don't bother with anything that uses a TN panel.