New Monitors: Dell 23" Leaked vs. Apple LED CD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Totti, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Totti macrumors member

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster :)

Anywho, was almost set on getting the 24" LEDCD, because it would have obvious benefits for my forthcoming new MacBook, but not much else. Then, i read on engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/09/purported-dell-23-inch-sp2309-lcd-monitor-leaked-tasty-specs-an/) about the new rumoured 23" with what seems like insane specs!

Any opinions on how these 2 stack up? Which one would you guys get, because the dell would surely clock in closed to $AUD 1,000, and i can get the LEDCD for $AUD 1200 with EDU discount.

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Wow. I feel bad saying this, but I may actually have to pursue a Dell product now! Those specs are magnificent, and with those input options it kicks the new 23" display's @ss.

That thing hooked up to my PowerBook would make one killer Photo editing setup. I'm excited at the prospect!

3. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

102 pixels per inch is still not the same as my mbp screen (i would guess that the mb screen would be the same amount of pixels per inch).

mbp screen is 110 at 1440x900 15.4in

and the westinghouse screen which i got on sale and is really nice is 104 pixels per inch. 1680x1050 19in

but its good to see that they are stepping up the resolution because when i was buying monitors the best i could find in a flat panel was 19 in at 104 or a 30 in at something around there.

the only reason why im telling you this is that if you do use your mb with an external screen, having one that is not the same amount of pixels per inch is very very very annoying.
    having purchased and returned 4 monitors, i can tell you its really hard to find a nice one with high resolution.
    trust me, even a couple of pixels make a difference
    o ya and my screen was 150

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

An ultra-high pixel density isn't really all that desirable in a desktop monitor - you want to be able to read what's on screen comfortably.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

...which means nothing if the picture quality is crap. Not saying it will be, but I've used the previous Dell 24" and they don't compare to the quality of the current generation ACDs (viewing angle alone can be a big issue). Of course at $420, the price is certainly right. Are they going to be using LED backlighting? What type of panel is in it?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Willl have to see more detailed analysis on it once it comes out, but it looks very nice, And a $420 list price from Dell means that, with stackable coupons, it will cost, what, $75? :eek: Anyway, seems like a nice display.

7. mattmartincouk macrumors newbie

£219? That's not bad. Shame it does not have a USB hub.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Umm just because it has better hardware doesn't mean it's better. Not to spark a Mac vs PC debate, but Vista having better hardware still *runs* like a turtle (pardon the oxymoron) while Leopard *runs* much faster with lesser hardware.

10. Totti thread starter macrumors member

Not sure about the panel, here's the SAMSUNG 23" that they're probably using the display from
    http://www.obsessable.com/news/2008/11/06/samsung-2342bwx-qwxga-23-inch-lcd-monitor/

There's also a 24" Dell on the website as well, though i lost the link

What I would like to know, is how the webcam would integrate with the new MacBook and whether OSX would realise it and autoswitch to the external mic/cam like the new LEDCD does

11. Totti thread starter macrumors member

Are you in the wrong thread?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Perhaps... but people rarely accuse Dell of having made any good PCs or Microsoft of having made many good OSes. They quite frequently accuse Dell of making some pretty good displays, however.

So I'll toss it back on you. Just because Apple can make a really good phone doesn't mean their mouses are really good. ;) Just because Dell makes computers of poor quality doesn't mean their displays stink.

13. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

defiantly, except i have never found a flat panel display that had to many pixels, that it made it unbearable to read.

my opinion,
    anything under 100 is very lame
    102 is somewhat ok (the display the op showed)
    104 is getting warmer
    109 (what i had on my old 15in crt monitor before i upgraded to this 19)
    110 is what my mbp has and i have never seen anything on this screen that looks pixelly (i don't know if thats a word).

although if i did have 110 on a 30in it would be way to many unless i had two 30's :)rolleyes:) one for doing all my pictures and movies and then when i need to read things bring it to the other screen.

ya... i spent way to much time trying to find the monitor i got and have a bunch of random info and opinions.

14. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

That 23" Dell, I'd stay away if it was only 200 less. It definitely uses a TN panel with its 160 degree viewing angles..

15. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I don't think I'd want a 16:9 desktop display. TV yes, computer no.

16. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

17. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

It has a funky resolution. Doesn't that mess with a game's fps?

18. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Do read the comments :D, cause some people stated that there is an error in Engadget report and such. ;)

19. mattmartincouk macrumors newbie

Yeah it does. (As shown on the Dell site).

Although, got a price from our account manager today for £149.. so, I will have one of those.

20. Totti thread starter macrumors member

Out of curiousity, what type of panels do the 24" iMac's use?

And secondly ( I can't remember if i asked this already), but would a MacBook be able to recognise that third-party mic / cam and autoswitch to it like it does with the new ACD's?

21. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

H-IPS.

If no drivers are required, then yes. If required, then no (unless Dell is targeting the Mac market and releases such drivers).

22. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah this really looks like the display i might get. I've been itching to get the new 24" Cinema display, but the high price has kept me second guessing. I'll wait to see the reviews on this one, but if they're even close to good, for half the price, i'll get this one over the apple.

23. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

These two panels aren't even comparable...

24. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Monitor specs (other than resolution) are worthless. Very few reviews actually confirm them, so manufacturers boast whatever they want with impunity.

A 24" panel for $400+ is going to be a TN panel. The TN viewing angle problem doesn't just affect odd-angle viewing -- I have yet to see a TN panel that actually shows the same colors at the top and the bottom at a reasonable viewing distance.

As far as I'm concerned, TN = basically unusable crap.

The 24" Apple probably has (I haven't actually seen one) an H-IPS panel similar to the one in the 24" iMac. H-IPS is simply in a different universe from TN for viewing angle and color accuracy.

The resolution on this Dell is a bit of an oddball, too. If they're going 16:9, 1920x1080 would really be better -- it would match the native resolution of 1080i/p video.

25. LinMac macrumors 65816

+1