New Motherboard 15 months in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Parise, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

3 months outside of my warranty and I'm looking at a $500 repair to a device I just paid $2000 for in Nov 2011. Has anyone heard of Apple eating the cost for this? I bought this damn thing for its reliability, not to drop 500 bucks more on it a year later.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's what AppleCare is for.

3. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I'd take it to an Apple store and see what the Genius bar can do. They may not be much help since its out of warranty or offer a discount of the repair.

4. Parise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Parise

Yeah, got that. Unfortunately, I expected my motherboard to last longer than a year.

5. Darby67 macrumors 6502

Most do, but as with all consumer goods, a few don't.

6. lali macrumors regular

My suggestion is for you to call Apple
    Going to the store is a real zoo (at least mine is). I have no idea how people can have an intelligent conversation in there. So noisy!
    Explain quietly what happened and that you are displeased with the Apple experience
    I know someone, 6 months after applecare expired, go a brand-new macbook pro. Your mileage may vary but worth a shot.

7. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Apple just replaced my logic board - had no idea anything was wrong. Just went to get displayed replaced - and came back with a new logic board! Yippie!

8. Apple Techs macrumors member

You might be good off taking it to a repair shop could be something stupid like a bad MagSafe port or a blown fuse (I have no clue since I don't know the symptoms) either one of those repairs at a reputable shop are WAY cheaper then a new logic board maybe $100

If you want you can describe what happens with your MacBook and maybe we can help out or point you to the most likely cause

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

As other people posted, AppleCare is the way to go next time. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but you gambled on the extended warranty and lost. It happens. I'm sure there are other folks that didn't buy AppleCare and their MBPs went years without an issue.

Call Apple, explain the situation and maybe they'll give you a deal.
    -P

10. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Go to the genius bar and plead a little, telling them that it just got out of warranty, you might get lucky.

11. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

next time buy it with american express, it gives you a piece of mind that you are always covered even if you don't have apple care.