New Motion Wallpapers opinion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wreckus, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

So it appears that iOS 9 will bring new motion wallpaper for the iPhone 6s & 6s+.

But, to me, they will come to the iPhone 6 & 6+ as well. Think about it, if the apple watch can show motion wallpaper, then the iPhone 6 & 6+ can as well since it is much more powerful than the apple watch. Besides, there is motion wallpaper already.

With that said, I doubt they will introduce new motion wallpaper to the 5s or older due to the screen size and older specs.

If I'm wrong, then i'm wrong. However, IMO, Apple wants to keep the iOS experience/features as close as they can between all their phones and I doubt the difference between the original iPhone 6 phones & the new and yet to be announce 6+ plus will be that huge that they can't put the same motion wallpaper on the original iPhone 6 & 6+.

2. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

It's a nice touch, but I would never use it. I already have my static images which serve me well, and I don't want the battery to be drained even more with the CPU/GPU doing constant calculations on a background.

3. thatpluslife macrumors regular

thatpluslife

I had live wallpapers on my galaxy s4 and it honestly did nothing for me. It was cool for the second to the minute I had it on but after that it got annoying and delayed the device a whole lot. So I hope they don't include it in the new iPhone but it'd be cool to see if they create live wallpapers beyond the standard "butterfly flying away" or "beach waves". lol

4. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I love the idea of motion wallpaper as long as the screen is upgraded :)

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My 6+ is jailbroken and I have animated weather (from the weather app) over my wallpaper on both my lockscreen and my homescreen.

No battery drain of perceptible proportions to speak of.

6. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

For me, motion wallpapers are the kind of thing that you set for the first few weeks because it's new and looks good but then the novelty wears off and most people will switch to something a little more personal. I actually like many of Apple's stock wallpapers so if there's one that suits me with no battery drain I may keep it.

7. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Motion Wallpaper + smaller (albeit a more efficient battery) = battery drain!

8. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Serious question:

What is the difference between "Dynamic" wallpaper that we already have and motion?

9. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

We don't know at this point, other than that it appears to be more than just moving circles.

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

If they are on the lock screen I won't see them. With the fingerprint sensor I go right from off to unlocked. I have been trying to use the power button more because iOS 9 has added travel times and handoff to the lock screen but I am still in the habit of just unlocking and going right to home in one move. I miss alerts that way too but its an old habit now.

BTW, I don't use the motion faces on my watch either. No complications are on them and one of the main things I like about my watch is seeing data without having to do anything to the device. Just picking up my wrist with Modular I see time, date, day, temp, meeting times, activity and with a single touch access to a timer. Sounds neat but something I personally might not be able to make use of.

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If the wallpapers don't work on the regular 6-gen, I'm going to be super annoyed by Apple. It would be blatantly stupid, for lack of a better word. I've been having live wallpapers on Android for years, fwiw. I say I'd be annoyed because it would be classic planned obsolescence.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Not using them on the Apple Watch. Probably won't be using them on the phone either.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

IMO, there's a difference between planned obsolescence and incentives to purchase new devices.

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah... that's what I meant. Guess there isn't a word for it? Although it is planned obselescence in a sense that the iPhone 6 was "planned" to not support features it obviously could (unless, of course, it does support it).

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. For me, it is a novelty that I wouldn't use.

16. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I can't defend the use of the wallpapers because right now I don't think I will use them but wonder if you shouldn't say probably won't instead of wouldn't. If somehow they made the wallpapers work like on a watch where they would show when the phone was picked up I might have to give them a look. If I could look at my phone and not have to push a button to see the display I would be super happy. I can see reasons against this too but I'm tired of pushing a button to see if anything is on the display and I forget to push power first to see. I use the fingerprint sensor and miss anything on the screen. Lifting the phone, getting the display with info from proactive Siri and also having a nice moving background just might have me using the feature.