New Moto E Released

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by AppleRobert, Feb 25, 2015.

1. AppleRobert, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Definitely a good budget option. Motorola keeps doing it right. I might pick it up myself.

3. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

4. bmxracer macrumors member

bmxracer

This is a great deal, even better than the first gen moto g in my opinion. Might just have to pick one up.

5. AppleRobert thread starter macrumors 603

Moto E variants:
    http://m.androidcentral.com/moto-e-2015-specs

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is a pretty good phone at a great price.

7. mel823 macrumors 6502

mel823

I think I'll pick this up for my mother, for Mother's Day. It will be a great intro smartphone for her.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm currently without a smartphone, I just got back from spending time abroad and mine broke last month. I've been looking at my options, I was pretty tempted by the Moto X $140 off sale but didn't end up pulling the trigger. And I don't really fancy spending big money on an off-contract iPhone at the moment. I don't use my smartphones extremely heavily, but I do like having a good phone.

The Moto E looks like a good stopgap. I don't think it's just for first-time smartphone users, it looks like a good phone for those looking to buy off-contract and don't require a lot of power. Plus it has 4G.

I'm interested.

9. Sensamic macrumors 68030

It's a great option to have a backup phone for times when you don't want to take your flagship or whatever.

10. coleblk macrumors regular

This looks like a fun little thing to tinker with!

11. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

12. coleblk macrumors regular

I ordered a white one with some interchangeable bands. Planning on doing a comparison with the first generation Moto G. Stay tuned for my impressions!

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Erica Griffin has a great Moto E LTE new hands on.

Performance seemed ok on video but she reported some poor performance stutters / pauses.

14. mclld macrumors 68000

Well it is a budget phone. I have a Moto G and love it but I do notice some excessive lag when my keyboard pops up sometimes. I can handle that with my 5 plus hour screen time and cheap price!

15. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Definitely an interesting phone for the price. If I needed a replacement phone I would certainly be looking into it. Screen rez is the only think that puts me off. At the end of the day I think I would be more inclined to get the first gen moto g or maybe the second if it can be found cheaper.

16. AppleRobert thread starter macrumors 603

I saw the 4G LTE Boost and Sprint variants this morning at Best Buy. The price? $99.

17. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I'd imagine they're going to move a lot of these. I see a lot of Moto G's out in the wild. My guess it's because of services like sprint, boost, verizon prepaid etc.

18. coleblk macrumors regular

Mine just arrived today. This thing feels unbelievably well built considering it's price. Buttons are firm and responsive and performance isn't bad under Lollipop at all. I also have a first generation Moto G and I must say this feels like a better put together phone as a whole, I have the worst rattling buttons and creaky body on my G...none of that to be found here. I switched it out with the red bumper and I like the look of it a lot. The display is also way better than I had anticipated, definitely not as good as the G but totally acceptable with good color reproduction. Here's some pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Looks good. Keep us updated.

20. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The E got upgraded to an IPS screen this time around which is a big improvement over the first generation model.

21. JH- macrumors 6502

What do you think of the battery life?

22. green9206 macrumors member

green9206

While this is certainly a decent step up from my Moto E 1st gen, it isn't quite impressive compared to competing devices like Lenovo A6000,Redmi 1S/2 which have 16gb internal storage and 720p displays and cost equal or less. Still a very good phone for less than $150 as Motorola provides regular software updates and smooth stock Android build which Lenovo, Redmi don't.

23. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Ars Technica has a really good detailed review out. Looks like the battery is really good too.

24. coleblk macrumors regular

After having it for a couple of days, I can say that the battery life on this phone is just great! Keep in mind that I don't use the cellular on it as of right now so my experience is probably a bit better than the average user. I still think this phone would be very hard to kill completely in a day for the average/first-time smartphone user. Great little backup phone or media player.

25. mel823, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

mel823 macrumors 6502

mel823

Just talked to my mom and she just told me she can barely hear with her flip phone, so she's looking to buy a new phone, and she wants to spend $200 max. So it looks like she'll be getting this phone sooner than expected. It will be her first smartphone. :)