New Mouse Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MatthewConnelly, May 7, 2007.

1. MatthewConnelly macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

I'm basically fed up with my wireless Mighty Mouse. I'm sick of cleaning it every day, and it's starting to feel like the cursor lags a bit. The only positive thing is that it's wireless, but that isn't good enough to make me keep it.

I've just temporarily switched back to my USB Logitech MX518, and it's great apart from the extra wire clogging up my desk. I realised once again how great my Logitech mouse is, so I want to buy a new one for my Mac.

I've been reading into the MX and VX Revolution mice, and there are a couple of issues I have with each of them.

The VX doesn't have a dock to charge it in, and seems to be a little small. It looks quite nice and it seems to have better compatibility with OS X than the MX.

The MX does have a dock to charge the mouse, and seems like a good size. I've been reading that it has few issues with OS X, as in a few of the buttons and customisation of the buttons doesn't work. Is this still an issue, or have new drivers been developed?

I will be mainly using the mouse for design work so I need a responsive mouse, wireless and a dock is a major plus and the fact that I need a spare USB port isn't an issue to me.

Can anyone clear my confusion with these Logitech mice up? I'd really like to order one in the next few days if everything works out alright.

2. plux79 macrumors member

I have the VX revolution. I don't think you should worry about the dock as 1 AA battery could last about 3 months depends on usage. I would not say that the VX is small, you have to hold it and try it yourself to get a feel on the size of it. It is very responsive and can be customized for different programs. Either way, I don't think you would regret buying VX or MX.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I personally have a VX Revolution, but I tried out an MX Revolution, the MX Revolution felt too big for my tasted and I liked the size and portability of the MX Revolution. The AA battery in the VX Revolution lasts a very long time, I've only had to change the battery twice, but both times the battery bar had just gotten to 1 bar left, so they could've lasted longer. All in all I like the VX Revolution better, but I say you should go and try both of them and see which one you like better.

4. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

i had the same problem with my BTMM. i put up with it for several months, thinking it was just a bad designed mouse. had to clean it several times a day. it would lag and at times just be unresponsive. sometimes it would only scroll in only one direction. i'd clean it and it seemed to work fine for a couple hours.

finally took it back to the apple store and they gave me a new one. I CAN'T BE HAPPIER NOW! haven't had to clean it yet in the 2 months i've had it.

i think some of them just persnickity from the start. return it and you will be happy with it.

5. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

I have to say that my second one was a big improvement, too. And I really have gotten used to having the scroll ball (just like really adjusted to the two finger scroll on the laptops). But, the ball is just like the old mice where you had to pull the ball out and clean it all the time; just not so easy o do it with the scroll ball. will be interesting to see if they can put a trackpad type device on top of the mouse. I will say, though that I could do without the side buttons.

Cheers.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I use both wired and BT MM and have never had to clean either :)

FJ

7. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I've yet to have a problem with my wired Mighty Mouse. It's so nice I'm picking up a BT version soon.

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

You may find the BT MM a tad heavy with both batteries in it. I recently learned (from a MR poster) that it will work fine with just one battery fitted, although obviously it will need to be replaced more often.

FJ

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Really ?

Off to try.. Yippee it does work. Thanks for that FJ :D

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

I've had an MX revolution for a long time. All buttons are customizable (including the scroll wheel (regular and that special hyperdrive..or whatever it's called...scrolling and when it kicks in) works), and the Logitech Control Center and driver gives you as much flexibility as you would have on Windows. Plus it's universal :D

And by flexibility, I mean you can set all buttons to do whatever you want, and you can also customize it so you can choose what each button does depending on the active app, etc.

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Yeah, it makes the MM more comfortable to use. :)

FJ

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i actually have both vx and mx revolution mice. i do find the vx to be a bit small, but i find the mx to be a tiny bit big. still, i prefer the mx to the vx; it just feels better in my hand. both mice are programmed without issues. vertical and horizontal scrolling work fine, and i have the buttons set for dashboard, exposé and changing tracks in itunes. i don't think you can go wrong with either mouse.