New MP 6-core - urgent advice on RAID setup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Dabbert, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Dabbert macrumors newbie

I am looking urgently for some advice.

I had my new MacPro 6-core delivered yesterday and am anxious to get going with the fun stuff (Aperture 3 etc) :)

I have been trying to set the 6-core up as follows. It has 4x 2TB internal hard disks and I would like to have them as 2x 4TB striped RAID0, one of which then acts as a mirror of the other.This is possible, right?

I didn't install a RAID card but again I know from my old MP that you can still do a RAID set-up.

I am a complete amateur in the RAID area but have closely followed the Apple instructions on the support side. Just setting up two of the disks as one hasn't worked: all the steps go fine but at the end the 'create' button remains 'greyed' out.

Any ideas, anybody?

Ps : I assume that when building these 'combined' disks I lose anything I had already transferred? :(

2. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I think you are asking about raid 1/0 or 1+0 or 10 as its all called :)

but yes its easy and its a fast safe way to do it

take 2 of your discs and create a MIRRORED raid set
    then repeat that with your other two !

so you now have two raid 1 sets

now create a new STRIPED raid with the + button call this whatever you want to call your raid ?
    then drag your two raid 1 sets into that and create :)

you should now have a 4TB set :)

I think thats what you meant :)

also you never want to do your base as a raid 0 or striped set your base should always be a raid 1 or mirrored set

3. Dabbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for clear and fast advice! Sounds like i was indeed getting my raid's crossed :eek: Will go and follow your advice now. Since everything is still safe on the old MP as well, I can take a chance on still getting it wrong ;)

4. Dabbert thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

cool :)
    you can pay me back by finishing a few jobs I have :) thats why I am up so late ;) heheheheh

glad I could help :)