Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Murray M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Here's why:

1) Apple won't release the MP before May 18. It needs the iPad to establish a solid press foundation and won't risk competing against itself. The iPad needs these two weeks to transform from "that's neat" to "yeah, ok I need that."

2) Apple won't release the MP after later May. This would take too much energy away from pre-WWDC buzz (and it seems reasonable that the buzz will be iphone oriented, as it should be).

3) If Apple releases the MP shortly after WWDC then they compete with themselves again: bad idea.

4) Apple should release the MP before July. They have NEVER taken longer to update a product line (see the buyer's guide on this site--assuming the buyer's guide is accurate--is it, btw?).

My money says they'll release a new MP on May 18 in mostly the same case (expect minor mods), and with processor/memmory/hd bumps that you'd expect (and a marketing campaign explaining in detail why this is the fastest Mac ever blah blah blah with lots of neat-o processor images and mapping illustrations).

Anybody want to place the odds?

Murray M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Apple used WWDC last year to update their notebook line and talk about iPhone OS 3, so why should they think different now?

You're right--but didn't they introduce the new unibody MBP? They could do the same with the MP if the 2010 version is special enough to deserve the lime light.

If we don't see a minor bump on May 18, then this seems likely.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You're right--but didn't they introduce the new unibody MBP? They could do the same with the MP if the 2010 version is special enough to deserve the lime light.

If we don't see a minor bump on May 18, then this seems likely.

They introduced the Unibody MB/Ps in October 2008, the June 2009 release only converted the 13" MB to an MBP with Firewire and an SD card slot and the sealed battery and the audio line in removed.

http://www.everymac.com can you give more details about the model specifications.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
With all the different market segments Apple caters to, the MP is the smallest. Since a MP is an expensive professional computer those that need it, need it, and do not need all the marketing hype to get motived. iPad is the opposite, it is designed to be something for everyone so that needs marketing hype. MP can be released anytime they want.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Apple coule just announce the next iPhone and MP at WWDC because they have never released the new iPhone on the same day it was announced, which is way different from their computers.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
I don't think the MP will attract any kind of announcement.

It's just not on the consumer radar which is 95% of Apple business now and quite honestly sends out mixed signals. I don't think it's even necessary to promote it.

That's not to say they don't want to make great Pro gear - I'm certain they do, they're consummate professionals at everything they ship, but they could release it anytime - it's not going to overshadow anything.

I don't think there is anything weird about the delay other than I just think they're just really busy right now.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
To be fair, the realease of an updated Mac Pro isn't a major front page news story like the release of the iPad. Different market segments.

They introduced the Unibody MB/Ps in October 2008, the June 2009 release only converted the 13" MB to an MBP with Firewire and an SD card slot and the sealed battery and the audio line in removed.

Collector's Edition FTW. :D

:apple:

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
With all the different market segments Apple caters to, the MP is the smallest. Since a MP is an expensive professional computer those that need it, need it, and do not need all the marketing hype to get motived. iPad is the opposite, it is designed to be something for everyone so that needs marketing hype. MP can be released anytime they want.

well actually the macbook air is probably the smallest portion of their sales. It's even behind the mac pro. on their store look at their top sellers. Its the Imac, macbook, macbook pro, mac mini then mac pro and lastly macbook air. If even this is accurate or just a marketing ploy. But at least its not dead last. It will be dead last if they decide to kill the air in favor of pushing more sales toward the ipad.

Anyway cheers:) and hopefully your right about the date.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Mac Pro is for different users than iPhone/iPad/MBPs are. I'm pretty sure it's the worst selling Mac but it's still important for users who really need speed.

Everything Apple needs is available so it's up to them

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Here's why:

1) Apple won't release the MP before May 18. It needs the iPad to establish a solid press foundation and won't risk competing against itself.

You have certainly hit on something. I now have the brilliant idea that all I really need is an ipad. I mean an ipdad can almost do everything that that big ole Mac pro can do, so . . . . . good thing Apple isn't clouding my judgment by releasing a new Mac pro now . . . :rolleyes:

And as for: Apple won't release the MP after later May. This would take too much energy away from pre-WWDC buzz (and it seems reasonable that the buzz will be iphone oriented, as it should be)"
You've got to be kidding, right? this is nonsense! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

extropian

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2003
And as for: Apple won't release the MP after later May. This would take too much energy away from pre-WWDC buzz (and it seems reasonable that the buzz will be iphone oriented, as it should be)"
You've got to be kidding, right? this is nonsense! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Mac Pros were announced at WWDC. They're in quite a different market segment than the iDevices, there's already a lot of pent up demand, and developers are one of the main target markets.

Murray M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
this is nonsense!

Nonsense?

(Btw, I'm laughing and enjoying the conversation)

Really? I might be wrong (or certainly: probably wrong), but I dont think what I'm saying belongs in the "nonsense" category (as in: this is complete rubbish). Would you consider downgrading your comment from "nonsense" to "strongly disagree" and perhaps shed some light on your rational? I'd love to see it from your point of view.

Cheers,
Murray

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Nonsense?

(Btw, I'm laughing and enjoying the conversation)

Really? I might be wrong (or certainly: probably wrong), but I dont think what I'm saying belongs in the "nonsense" category (as in: this is complete rubbish). Would you consider downgrading your comment from "nonsense" to "strongly disagree" and perhaps shed some light on your rational? I'd love to see it from your point of view.

Cheers,
Murray

It's nonsense because I am getting frustrated that there is no real news about this update and I am trying to keep my mind off of spending the money I have set aside on something else. ;) I'm just angry at Apple. Nothing personal. But seriously, Apple isn't timing this release to coincide or not coincide with any other product. It's just not quite ready, plain and simple. We tend to over think this when trying to be patient.

Murray M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
It's nonsense because I am getting frustrated that there is no real news about this update and I am trying to keep my mind off of spending the money I have set aside on something else. ;) I'm just angry at Apple. Nothing personal. But seriously, Apple isn't timing this release to coincide or not coincide with any other product. It's just not quite ready, plain and simple. We tend to over think this when trying to be patient.

I hear ya. Me too.

Murray M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Anybody want to place the odds?

After consideration, here's my from-the-hip odds:

May 18: 60%
WWDC: 25%
after WWDC: 15%

I still think they're reserving WWDC for all things iPhone (and possibly a hint on the next OSX, cuz let's face it: Snow Leopard needs some help). WWDC is too high octane for the MP. Think about how many friends you know who have an iPhone vs how many you know who have a MP. Apple would be foolish to waste all the attention that WWDC creates on a product that is for pros only. It's not worth Steve's time in the keynote (and this is not a slam to MP's--it's just a statement of how successful the iPhone has become).

If Apple waits till after WWDC to release the MP, then it BETTER BE AWESOME. And by AWESOME I mean: 1) new case that's drool inducing (think SERIOUS DESK CANDY) 2) RAID built in, and 3) impressive new proc/mem/hd specs for a reasonable price. And hear me Apple if you are listening: if you do this you can ask a few hundred dollars more, but no more than that.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I still think it's Intel and their delays that is most responsible for the delay in the Mac Pro update. I certainly hope May 11th or 18th is the magic day.

From what I've read WWDC is ALL about iPhone/iPad and iPhone OS. Thus I don't expect any announcement or mention of the Mac Pro or OS X at WWDC even if the Mac Pro isn't updated in May.

From this article:

Signs of the Macpocalypse abound. This year, for the first time, the Apple Design Awards at WWDC'10 are only open to iPhone and iPad apps. Mac apps need not apply; they don't contribute to Apple's new walled garden ecosystem.

I hope much of this article is wrong. If it is true though, Apple is hell-bent on becoming irrelevant in five years.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I agree with others that a Mac Pro launch will receive little, if any, fan fare.

It could be as minimal as a silent update to the store with added BTO options for the new 6 core processors or it could be similar to last year with the Mac Pro portion of the site getting an overhaul. In either case, I wouldn't expect any front page air play for the Mac Pro.

While it would be nice to see a more prominent launch of refreshed Mac Pro's with new GPU's, new monitors, and perhaps updates to FCP bringing it inline with SL tech (64-bit, OpenCL, GC, etc.)... I remain skeptical that the Mac Pro is anything but a squished bug on Apple's view out of the windshield.

Given this, the date is almost irrelevant with respect to what else might be going on at Apple. It could happen on any given Tuesday.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Funny that. I have a 2008 MP, a MBP, an iPad and a 3G iPhone.

I have a feeling that I am not the only Mac Pro user like that either.

Of course there are people like you but not every MBP user has Mac Pro, that's what I meant. It's clearly meant for people who REALLY needs speed and has $ while MBPs sell like hot cakes. I think you got my meaning, Mac Pro is not a consumer machine

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
I agree with others that a Mac Pro launch will receive little, if any, fan fare.

Exactly.
The Mac Pro will have the same advance notice and fanfare as the MacBook Pro.

The MacBook Pro was quietly launched on April 13th.
A week in advance there was strong speculation that the MacBook Pro would be launched in April.
The exact launch date of the MacBook Pro was rumored correctly 5 days in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.