New MP plus server software?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rmafive, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I just bought a mac pro, to replace a slow mac mini server. I really want to move everything from the mac mini server to the mac pro, but I am not sure if I need the server os. I use the current server primarily for time machine backups, an "apple tv" (soon to have enough power to play and rip blu rays!), and an itunes server. I will not change my uses, so do I need the server os? I am not sure if I am using any server functions, though I am not sure about the time machine setup (which I am surprised is even working!). If I don't need the server os, what would be the easiest way to move all of the files and settings from the server os to the new regular os? Thanks! :D

2. goMac macrumors 603

Doesn't sound like you need the server OS. Time Machine backups are only officially supported to an OS X Server machine (or a local hard drive obviously), but if you have trouble with that, there are easy work arounds. I have my Macbook Pro backing up to a Mac Pro that is only running 10.6 client.

You can move files with a thumb drive, or a network transfer. Settings is going to be more hard, maybe not even possible, as those are all OS X Server based settings for the OS X Server specific tools. Depends.

3. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I guess my next question is: is there any disadvantage to running the server os vs the regular? I would much prefer to use super duper to clone the hd drive and continue using the setup that is currently working. Though if there is an advantage to using the regular os, I will certainly use it instead.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

for the general consumer and the processes that you just listed, you will have NO advantages using SL Server over consumer SL. SL Server is intended for supporting users & groups, multiple data storage devices, web hosting, and the like. you will be fine with what you have now :)

p.s 16TB drobo wow. what do you have on there?!

5. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha. Thanks for the reply! I use the 16 tb for backing up all of the computers in my house, along with storing my growing collection of movies. Thanks to the new Mac pro, I will be able to rip and play blu ray movies!

Btw: can I continue to back up my computers with time machine and my drobo (connected to my current Mac mini server) with just the regular os x plus my new Mac pro?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh ok nice! currently i have a bunch of external HDDs for storing my movies (about 3TB in total atm) - i will probably invest in a file server soon enough :)

you certainly can! just plug the Drobo into your MacPro (i presume via FireWire800?), you will have to choose the new location of the Drobo, but it will recognise that they have existing archive there :)

7. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, now I understand! I just figured I was using some special server feature (like time machine server, or something :rolleyes:) to backup all of the computers.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh! hahaha no! Time Machine is installed on every Mac, sorry i should have explained that! it doesnt require any additional server software, but OSX Server does have the ability to add a few extra features related to Time Machine - nothing you cant do manually anyway.