New MPB batch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kiwishake, Jan 13, 2009.

1. kiwishake macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've made the decision to buy the new 15" MBP a while ago but due to all the problems the first batch had, I've prolonged the purchase up to this date. Is there a batch number 2 out? How much of the reported issues (ie. twisted keys, light leakage from the bottom of the LCD, loose hinges etc) have been fixed? Loose battery cover? It's just that making a purchase of this magnitude is something I don't want to mess up and wind up with a mediocre product that's just going to piss me off. I don't want to pay close to 2000e for a laptop that isn't PERFECT.

Thanks for the help!

2. johnnyi macrumors regular

I got My Macbook Pro end of November and it was perfect none of the problems you list below buy it now dont waste your time!.If its not perfect send it back to apple get another!.

Regards
    Jonathan

3. sesnir macrumors 6502

I was curious about this myself, but keep in mind that the number of people who post here looking for help/advice with their defects far outnumbers the people who come here reporting the "all clear".

It's easy to get discouraged reading about all of these problems but it's just encouraged me to open the box in the store so I can get an instant replacement if it's got noticeable defects. I dunno if they'll let me power it up there or anything like that... but if I can give it a visual inspection before I leave, that's something.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because most people aren't going to go to a forum and post if they don't have any problems that they need help with. The problems you see in the forums number in the hundreds, vs millions of Macs that are sold.

5. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Machine 1: Warped lid and faulty optical drive that would not accept discs. Maybe it was bent or something b/c I was unable to insert a disc into the drive.

Machine 2 and 3: Warped lids and, when the machine was picked up, as it would be during normal use, I was able to hear and feel something loose and clunking inside the machine. It was not the hdd heads parking and I was able to feel/hear the issue even when the machine was completely off.

Machine 4: Terrible backlight bleed that was noticeable even on a white page when I was online. Basically noticable all the time.

Machine 5: Something wrong with the fans. Immediately upon turning on the machine it sounded like I was in a wind tunnel.

Machine 6: Final machine. No clunking, no fan problems, no optical drive problems, but still has light bleed, which I think all of the machines had at varying degrees. Light bleed is two versicle lines going from the bottom to almost all the way to the top of the screen but is only noticeable on a totally black screen. This is the machine I chose to keep.

Yes, more people will come to the forum and talk about issues rather than talk about good experiences, but I know I'm not the only one who has gone through a ridiculous number of mbp's before getting one that was acceptable. Even now, my machine should not have the amount of back light bleed that it does, but sadly, I've seen even worse. Any product is going to have a few lemons here and there, but I mean, seriously, this seems kind of ridiculous. My machines were purchased from October through November. Anyway, there are people like me who seem to have terrible luck with these things, and there are tons of others who get a perfect machine on the first try. If you want the machine, just buy it. There are always going to be ones that have issues, but chances are, you'll get one that's ok.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Every single notebooks/displays in the world has some backlight bleeding to some degree.

7. sesnir macrumors 6502

That's exactly what my point was...

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Ive had 4 macbook pro's and powerbooks in my time and not one has had a problem, i think it depends where you live and what the quality control issues are like there, for example in the UK they cant take back a laptop within the 14 day return time, charge 10% restocking fee, put it in a new box and sell it as new again, but in the US you can, and i think this is where a lot of the problems come from, for example some people report scratching on the cases and fingerprints on the screens. In addition I tend to find, but not always, Macbooks bought from the Apple online store are usually perfect first time, however when bought in the Retail stores they tend to have more glitches, I dont know why, maybe its to do with the factory theyre manufactured from, but thats what ive observed.

9. hypmatize macrumors regular

I got my Unibody MBP (specs in sig) the first or second day they were avalible at my local socal apple store it and it is flawless :D I might be just lucky but that was my experience with a launch unit... I guess its just the luck of the draw...

pics of my MBP

10. sesnir macrumors 6502

Picked up my 2.53ghz 15 inch unibody MBP this morning... absolutely flawless.

I love how easy it was to migrate my stuff over from my Mac Mini and jump right in to using it.

The free printer was just an unexpected bonus.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think there is no 2nd batch of mbps just yet, Apple is currently waiting for it to cool off since it just came out of the oven. :D

12. jabbawockee macrumors member

Amen.

13. kiwishake thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I got my MBP. It's flawless. Seriously, I checked it thoroughly before starting it and after starting it for all the possible light bleedings, crooked cd drives, loose hinges etc etc. It's perfect! So here's one more story with a happy ending; it's not only people ending up with bad machines writing on forums :p

Btw when tapping the trackpad (not actually pressing it), is it supposed to be a little "loose", as in it makes a slight sound when tapped hard (but still not actually pressing it)? This is my only concern! :D

14. sesnir macrumors 6502

No the trackpad isn't supposed to be loose.

And I found one tiny flaw on mine... there's this scuff mark below the battery indicator. It's feint and if that's the only flaw I find then I'll be thrilled.