New MPB/Belkin Firewire Expresscard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chinarider, Mar 12, 2008.

1. chinarider macrumors regular

Just got a Belkin F5U514 firwire expresscard for more 800 ports.

However, MBP recognizes it but wont use it - Menubar options are "Unknown Vendor", "Firewire Controller" and "Power off Card" - The first 2 options are greyed out.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
    T

MBP-P 2.6 17" hd, 4g

2. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Does it recognise devices that have their own power supply, or is it not recognising any devices?

This seems to be an issue with a lot of Expresscard Firewire devices. I have a Belkin combo card, and it will only see Firewire devices that have their own power. The USB port works fine, however.

3. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

Belkin admitted that it doesn't work with leopard - The others I tested worked fine (SIIG and Sonnet)

None of the 3 have their own power, but all have a port to add it.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also if it's grayed out, it usually means you need to download the drivers and install them before you insert the card.

5. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, Thats what I figure too - But each one of these cards needs no drivers to work, and do not ship with them!

In fact, Belkin thought I was crazy when I told them it didn't work - Until they finally found someone in Tech Support who knew what they were talking about.

6. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Do you mean the SIIG and Sonnet cards will work with FW devices that don't have their own power; since their websites seem to imply that you'd need an external power for this?

I have the same greyed out options BTW. My Belkin combo (2x FW400, + USB) card does work under Leopard, but it requires external power for bus powered FW devices.

7. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

No, I dont mean that - On the self-powered D>A converter that I have, they work fine. But when I use my Lacie Rugged drive, I need to add external power. Other than those 2 instances, I can't vouch for any other devices.

So in my limited testing, I would guess that you still need external power for anything that doesn't have it's own power with these cards.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in and correct me if needed!