new MPB...delay when I double click on desktop...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carboncow, Jan 26, 2012.

1. carboncow macrumors member

First off let me note that I have a new OCD Sandforce Sata III SSD that I just put in and restored from TM toi get my old profile setup. This is a 15" i7 2.2ghz.

If I double click a file, folder or drive on my desktop it takes about 5 secs for it to open and sometimes the beach ball shows up. If I right click and open it's instantaneous like I would expect...so I don't think the SSD is to blame since I've also run this same SSD in my iMac and the old MBP 13" it replaced.

I've done some googling with little input since this issue is so specific...but highly annoying. I'm currently doing a permission repair to see if that assists.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Try setting up a new temporary profile and create or download some files of any kind. Then try opening them by double-click and see what happens. If it works like it should, then that would point to some problem specific within your own profile.

3. carboncow thread starter macrumors member

SBXG,

You hit the nail on the head but I'll do some more testing at home tonight. It appears everything on the new test user profile is fast as I would expect...

Glad to know I don't need a fresh install and need to can my backup...with that said what would you suggest?

Delete my user and recreate it? (I need to stay the same user for my work domain) with no restore...not a big deal since all my software stays, I could live with this. All my data is in drop box or a external HD.
    Delete my user and restore again to see if I get lucky?

Thoughts?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's one way to work at it. Another way would be if you have the time and patience, is to look through Console for anything that shows up as an error or problem when trying to open a file.

How did your Repair Permissions pan out?

There could be a corrupt .plst file in your profile which is causing the delay. Although I haven't a clue which one it could be.

5. carboncow thread starter macrumors member

I now remember this issue before when I restored my iMac directly during setup from the Time Machine backup...I think the comment is NOT todo this but to setup the user and then restore.

I'm going to delete myself...recreate the account and restore now. If not we'll do a fresh user again w/o the backup. I'll post back on success for others to find.

I didn't give the console a try since I haven't not worked with OSX logs much...and as you pointed out the plist means little to me unless someone tells me which one to delete! Thanks.

----------

and to add...doing the Repair Disk Permissions didn't help either...

6. carboncow thread starter macrumors member

I 2nd restore showed promise but it a a slow day at work again with delays in opening, moving, editing files...the new alternate account seems fine.

You mentioned watching the console...but what? I see 101 log files in there and nothing seems to pertain to the system and file opening/access. Suggestions on what to look for?

I cannot recall or figure out how to restore just one user's account from Time Machine...it seems my option is a full restore and then just moving files around.