New MPB...... some menubar icons white, some black

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deyno1903, Sep 2, 2013.

1. deyno1903 macrumors newbie

So, I have a new MBP today and at start up for the first time used my latest time machine back up from my iMac.

After time machine had finshed and I launched for the first time, my left hand side menubar items are black (apple logo, finder, file, edit, etc) and my right hand side menubar items are white (battery, time, date, etc).

[​IMG]

I have also installed a few app's that have a menubar icon on the right hand side (Bartender & Alfred) which are both "blocked" red

[​IMG]

I'd like all icons, to be black and also don't understand why some have the red around?

2. AppleFreak29 macrumors newbie

White..

Have you tried relaunching finder?

Also, What other apps do you have installed? Perhaps one of those apps are causing the problem..

3. deyno1903 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried relaunching finder to no joy.

This happened prior to me installing any 3rd apps so standard Apple apps.

4. AppleFreak29 macrumors newbie

Purchase?

Did you purchase the machine from an apple store? I don't recognize some of the icons in the bar as they do not show up on my status bar.

5. deyno1903 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did purchase from an Apple store, yeah.

Is there anyway of changing the "white" icons to black?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no system setting for this or anything if that is what you mean. You have something else causing this.

Can you make a new temp user account and tell us if you see it in that account?

7. deyno1903 thread starter macrumors newbie

Created a "temp" user account and have no issues with the menubar, so at least we now it is something to do with my primary user account.

[​IMG]

Is there anything I can copy over from the temp account to my primary?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah good... so at least we know your Mac is not borked! :)

Actually, I think what we want is the opposite. We want to know what is in the old account that is not in the temp account that is causing this. Try going to Users & Groups in the Login items for your user account (the messed up one) and remove everything from the startup list then reboot and see what happens.

If that fixes it, start adding them back until you find the culprit. I suspect you may have a conflict with one of those add on menulets.

9. deyno1903, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

deyno1903 thread starter macrumors newbie

That didn't work as after reboot it was still the same, BUT when checking the login I came across this.......

[​IMG]

And then I remembered, I downloaded a "black" menubar for my iMac which setting must of transferred when loaded my time machine back up. That was the easy part....... The hard part, I can't remember where I downloaded the mod from or what the mod was called so I could retrace my steps so to speak.

EDIT - Found it HERE

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Bingo! That theme would do it.

Go back to that page you linked and download the installer DMG again and open the DMG. In there you will see an installer routine to set the theme back to default. This should remove everything and get you back to black.

11. deyno1903 thread starter macrumors newbie

If only this were true. I took the steps you suggested and "restored" default theme, but after logging out and back in, it's still the same :mad:

This is a big lesson learnt by myself.

Is there no way I could manually check the path of the theme?

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I assumed you already tried just selecting it in that login items screen and clicking the minus sign at the bottom of the window?

Open Finder and enter whiteuiserver in the search window like in my screenshot. Then click plus sign just below that (next to Save in my shot) and in the two dropdowns select "System files" and "are included". You should now see the whiteuiserver.menu file. Move it to the trash then logout and back in to see if that fixes it.

[​IMG]

13. deyno1903 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's sorted it, thank you so much for your help. Very much appreciated.

Just one last thing though, In my first post, I stated that I have a "red" box around some menubar icons. That is still there.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is it just that one I see on the left of the smaller screenshot? What menu item is that? Is it the app Bowtie? From the devs. site here it looks like there are "themes" for the app. I wonder if you look in Bowtie settings to turn off any themes.

15. matixryder macrumors member

I suspect that your new MPB is a refurbished one.Because no new MBP would come with modified Icons on menubar like that.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you missed that OP imported all this from a Time Machine backup, and imported these issues from a previous machine.