New MPBs - screen much improved over original unibodies?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ascender, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ascender macrumors 68000

I don't have the opportunity to see demo machines anywhere near where I'm working at the moment, so was wondering if someone could offer an opinion or two. I have a 13" uMB which is a great machine, but there's a couple of things which have become apparent the more I use it, both linked to the screen.

Firstly is the size of the screen, which, the more I use my laptop for, is a bit small for me, so I've been thinking of upgrading to a 15" MBP for that reason alone. However, the other issue is that the viewing angle seems really limited. Especially when watching movies, there only seems to be a small angle where you can see the entire screen perfectly without losing the clarity of colours or even small sections of the picture.

So I'm thinking about selling my 13" and going for a 15", but I was wondering, are the screens on the 15s much better than the original 13" unibodies?

Thanks.

2. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

The screens on the newer uMBP models are significantly better than the original uMB in terms of viewing angles, color gamut and contrast ratio.

Of course, Apple sources panels from different manufacturers, so *your* panel may not be one of the best ones, but it will still be waaay better than the ones found in the original uMB.

3. superego macrumors member

I don't own a Macbook Pro, but I've seen uMB and uMBP at a shop a few times and compared them. I didn't see any difference whatsoever between 13" uMB and uMBP which was very disappointing. Everything was completely the same (they had probably the same panel and manufacturer). No improvement at all.

The 15" uMBP I saw was clearly brighter than 13" models, otherwise pretty much the same. I'm not sure whether all 15" are with bright displays, or is it just panel lottery.

Anyway, at worst case scenario, if you don't have much luck, you could see slim to none improvement.

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.