Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
So, albums marked as compilations, and artists found on those compilations, are not listed if I choose to view by Album or by Artist. Is this happening to anyone else?

What a damn awful change.

Apple's user-friendliness is really dropping in recent years (and I can provide examples of this, I'm not just ranting).

jayinla

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
So, albums marked as compilations, and artists found on those compilations, are not listed if I choose to view by Album or by Artist. Is this happening to anyone else?

What a damn awful change.

Apple's user-friendliness is really dropping in recent years (and I can provide examples of this, I'm not just ranting).
Yes this is happening and it's a shame. The artist sort field is now using just the Album Artist field in iTunes. All of my various artists or compilations could not be found as they did not appear in my artist or album view. I had to go in to my music files and add the album artist field for all 13,000 of my songs and make sure I had no more compilations. In the process of now looking for a new app in the app store to play my physically stored music easily. I think I'm going to use the app Picky. Terrible app icon but pretty good functionality.

Reactions: IronWaffle

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You can get to compilations by tapping the red "Artist" at the top of your list (or Album, Songs and so on depending what sorting you have selected) and choose "Compilations". This will show you comps and various artist albums.

Reactions: Galley

jayinla

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
You can get to compilations by tapping the red "Artist" at the top of your list (or Album, Songs and so on depending what sorting you have selected) and choose "Compilations". This will show you comps and various artist albums.
Yes...but....let's say you have a Green Day song as part of a compilation. That same song should also show up when you pull up all your Green Day songs in Artists. They're not though. That is wrong. You should be able to pull all songs from an artists if you're sorting by artist.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes...but....let's say you have a Green Day song as part of a compilation. That same song should also show up when you pull up all your Green Day songs in Artists. They're not though. That is wrong. You should be able to pull all songs from an artists if you're sorting by artist.

iTunes on the Mac does what you're talking about, but not the music app. I don't even think pre 8.4 music app did this (at least not 8.0-8.3 music app and possibly even since iOS 7, maybe even ever since I don't remember what the music app from 6 and below were like anymore. :) )

jayinla

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
iTunes on the Mac does what you're talking about, but not the music app. I don't even think pre 8.4 music app did this (at least not 8.0-8.3 music app and possibly even since iOS 7, maybe even ever since I don't remember what the music app from 6 and below were like anymore. :) )

Here is a screenshot of an ipad running 8.3. The group by album artist field is no longer included in the settings for 8.4. Having this off, allowed for songs in compilations to also be viewed under artists. Apple had taken this choice away thus making it impossible. Not a good update Apple!
IMG_0174.jpg

me7

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
Actually, this is the purpose of the compilation tag. If you set it, the album will be grouped as a compilation. If you don't set it, it will be split up by artist. Try unticking the tag.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
Actually, this is the purpose of the compilation tag. If you set it, the album will be grouped as a compilation. If you don't set it, it will be split up by artist. Try unticking the tag.
I think you're missing the point. If people uncheck the compilation tag on compilation albums, then iTunes will display each and every song with a unique artist in a compilation as a unique album. It would produce the same effect in the Music app. The purpose of the compilation tag is the prevention of this scenario.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
Personally I find this helpful. Compilation albums have always screwed up my iTunes library.. To the point where I've avoided adding them just to keep things tidy.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I hated this and was forced to change the setting on iTunes for OS X so that my complications show up under albums. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.