New nano is very prone to scratches

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mckvakk, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mckvakk macrumors regular

Seems like the problem from the 1st gen nano is back. I've had my nano in my pocket for a total of 20minutes with nothing that would make any scratches and there is already a bunch of them on the backside.

I really hope my invisible shield comes before it's too late..

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I was thinking, couldn't a person make their nano brushed metal themselves by, y'know, brushing the metal? I figure if you take a piece of fine grain sand paper and brush it in a vertical direction along the body it should result in a brushed metal finish, shouldn't it?

3. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Hes not talking about the front, hes talking about the back, which is chrome. Every ipod gets scratched on the back IF it has chrome. Its common, and doesnt harm the ipod at all. If he wants to cry that much about it, either hes never had an ipod before and that would explain why he is referencing the old nanos being scratch prone on the FRONT and comparing it to the new ones BACK. The new nanos are the same finish on the front as the last nano they replace, and they DO NOT scratch easily on the front. A word to the guy who posted this, know what your talking about before you say an old problem is back! :rolleyes:

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I was under the impression that he was taking about scratches on the chrome backside, and that's what I was referring to as well.

5. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Your suggesting brush a chrome finish? You know how retarded that sounds? Why dont we just start brushing chrome classic car bumpers to, thatd be cool! Gawd :rolleyes:

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

You used the word "your" instead of "you're," and the word "to" instead of "too." You know how retarded that sounds? Why don't you go get a life instead of acting like an obnoxious ***hole.

7. mckvakk thread starter macrumors regular

i've had all the generations of nano and i know the second one didn't scratch at all. It held a year without any protection. The first gen was in a case from day one. But one would think apple would fix the backside after so many years.
    Wonder how it will look after a year when this happes after 20 minutes..

8. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Thanks for proving yourself : )

9. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Umm, it's not retarded. Plenty of people have done this to the back of previous ipods. It looks quite good, I've done it to my 4g ipod after the chrome got all scratched up and it looks a lot better than having scratchy ipod.

Example - http://members.optusnet.com.au/brushedipod/gallery.htm

My suggestion would be to put an invisibleshield on the back.

edit- check this out, someone put a sticker on the ipod and brushed ontop of it, making a nice flame pattern: http://www.users.qwest.net/~b-otis/iRule.jpg

10. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

Hopefully the invisible shield is out for the new nano soon. I'd hate to get a scratch on my beautiful new toy.

11. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Same problem w/ me. I was kind of bummed when I saw thos miniscule scratches.

12. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

Something I don't understand...why did it get scratched if you had nothing in your pockets that can scratch it...looks like it gets scratched just by looking at it...very strange.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow that is amazing! too bad its from optus :p hahaha. that does look quite nice tho, i shall consider doing that to my 5g ipod video. thanks for the link