New Nano No Bluetooth!!?? I hope accessory makers are working on a Bluetooth adapter

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iansilv, Sep 11, 2010.

1. iansilv macrumors 65816

Argh! This really bothers me- I just bought a pair of Jaybird Bluetooth headphones ( awesome btw) and I just assumed the new nano would have bluetooth- clip it on, go running- no cords, no clunky armband. Boy I was disappointed.

Anyone know of a good Bluetooth adapter that would work with the new nano?

Thank you.

2. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

There's about a million different bt adaptors for iPods already. Just pick one that uses the dock connector (ie. Not a really old one!), with a fairly recent bt spec (v2 is a good minimum). No reason why those for existing iPods won't work on the new nano!

Personally, I've got a Sony one, which is about the width of the dock connector, and projects perhaps 12mm (edit; actually, more. I have a case...)
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665274447

3. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

4. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

The RocketFish bluetooth adapter sold at Best Buy is a great fit for the new Nano. It's almost the exact width of the new Nano, and doesn't stick out as far as the Sony one (I have both to verify this). I posted a picture of it in the "Nano watch" thread. Here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11031969&postcount=49

Edit: rprebel above beat me to linking to my own post! Ha ha!

5. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

6. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

rprebel and Chris- thank you! And how are those Erickson's? I like my Jaybirds, but those sony headphones look really small!

7. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

They are pretty good overall. Obviously not as good of sound quality as my Westone custom in-ear headphones, but those are a $900 custom pair. Bluetooth sound quality isn't on par with wired headphones anyway. But, there are some downsides to the Ericssons. Since the battery is in the right earpiece (they are very small), listening time is low...around 2 hours. But, that works for me since I'm only using these for working out and running. The other downside to them being so small is that they have no volume up/down controls on them, and since when you plug a bluetooth dongle into an iPod, it hands off volume control to the bluetooth device, I can't change volume using them. But, by default it sets the volume to about 75%, so it still works very well for me, since that's about where I keep it when listening. This problem can be solved by using bluetooth headphones with built in volume controls, but since these Sony Ericssons are designed to be as small as possible, they don't have them.

8. jmor macrumors 6502

I wish it had bluetooth just something so small but so annoying, but it looks like those guys have a nice enough workaround for now, looks pretty cool.