Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
This is why I still am only going to use mine as a "watch" when I'm working out/running. There are far too many ways to get it wet accidentally wearing it as a watch all the time.

Yep, I thought about using it as a watch... then realized when I was a kid I always had to have waterproof watches cause I'd never remember to take them off (so they'd end up in the shower with me. Or even if I remembered to take them off before that, I'll never remember I have it on when i go outside and it's raining if I wear it all the time. I just start taking it for granted that it's there when I wear a watch).

larock

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
FedEx dropped my graphite Nano off to me today. I just got finished with my first run with it. I love it. Yeah it took a little getting used to, but I don't miss the click wheel of my 5th gen. For me and what I use a Nano for, the new Nano is a big improvement over the last model.

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
Picked up a Graphite 16GB this afternoon at Best Buy.

They only had the old models on display, so I asked when they would get the new ones and he said the had them. I asked to check them out and after he showed me them I decided to get one.

Played around with it for a few hours so far and it does seem to work really well.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
For me and what I use a Nano for, the new Nano is a big improvement over the last model.

I think we are going to see more and more people warm to this Nano as more people actually get hands on time with it. I wouldn't be surprised to see it be the most successful Nano yet (in terms of sales). It's better all the way around at it's intended function...storing and playing music conveniently.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I think we are going to see more and more people warm to this Nano as more people actually get hands on time with it. I wouldn't be surprised to see it be the most successful Nano yet (in terms of sales). It's better all the way around at it's intended function...storing and playing music conveniently.

Well, the market it is aimed at will like it I think (save a few who preferred the click wheel for the actual click wheel and not just for physical buttons. I was in the camp of preferred it cause of physical buttons, the remote solves that problem for me. Honestly, except for having physical buttons when I'm not looking at hte device, I prefer touch screen to the click wheel, it's so much faster to pick what you want).

I think the market that is not aimed at it will gripe about it even though they'd be better served with a Touch anyways. Maybe they'll figure it out, buy a Touch, and realize it is far better for what they wanted the Nano for.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
I agree with everything you said in your post. I've said from the moment it was announced that the 5th gen Nano should have remained, and this new Nano introduced as a Shuffle+ (plus), or a new lineup altogether. The Shuffle+ works better, as it can be sold as an upscale Shuffle, keeping the same iPod lines as they have now. The Nano could have then lived on in the old form as the device that phases out the Classic in the near future.

How is the new nano in anyway related to the shuffle? Other than both being small and square I don't see where you are going. They are two completely different products.

The shuffle is called "shuffle" because it doesn't have a screen and so you are supposed to shuffle your music.

I'm getting sick of hearing all you whiners everytime Apple updates one of their products.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
How is the new nano in anyway related to the shuffle? Other than both being small and square I don't see where you are going. They are two completely different products.

The shuffle is called "shuffle" because it doesn't have a screen and so you are supposed to shuffle your music.

I'm getting sick of hearing all you whiners everytime Apple updates one of their products.

How on earth am I whining? Have you read any of my posts regarding the Nano? I love the new Nano. Hell, I bought two of them, a red one and a graphite, just to have a spare. Hardly whining. I'm saying that even though the new Nano is the best idea in an mp3 player Apple's had in a while (I love it), the old Nano style could have somehow been kept for the people that like the form factor.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
Count me in as one of those who warmed up to it when she got to play with it.

The Pro's:
  1. It's not nearly as small as it looked
  2. Thusfar, the touch screen has been a little easier to navigate to change songs than I thought it would be
  3. Takes up considerably less space
  4. Volume seems much louder than my 2nd Gen iPod

The Con's:
  1. It's still a little awkward to change volume & wake the iPod (I suspect that will change with use)
  2. I find I still have to occasionally look to make sure I haven't accidently switched screens
  3. It's kind of easy to switch screens by mistake

So far, my only test has been driving to work this morning. If I can figure out a decent dashboard mount (I'm thinking velcro & something to clip the iPod to), it'll be perfect for that. I'm planning on using it on my walk tonight.

esmode

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2010
You do have to admit your requirement that you be able to navigate playlists without looking is quite specific.

It is.

but... nobody is trying to sell one to you

so why does it matter? you clearly aren't interested in the design although it doesn't stop you from griping about that in a thread for new owners and not for people who don't like the 6th gen in the first place

It matters because I needed a replacement for the previous model. It didn't sound like it fit a specific requirement of mine but someone said that shouldn't be a problem so I discussed it with them. I'll either have to find another brand and possibly ditch iTunes or give up on that requirement. So it did matter and I did get something out of the conversation.

nimbleS

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
MD
Any new Nano owners who bike or run? How does the new Nano work out for you? I noticed one owner in here who runs with it and mention that they like it.

I'm using a 1st gen Touch right now for biking but its a little heavy. Got a gift card to BestBuy and was thinking about getting either the new Nano or the 5th.
Any suggestions?

Timeraner

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (Nintendo DSi; Opera/507; U; en-US))

BrennerM said:
I found the manual online for the new nano. The nano does not include the earphones with controller but the device will work with them if you buy them separately (or use ones you got with another Apple device).

If you are using standard headphones:

To pause the current track you would need to tap once on the screen to display the controls, then tap again in the center of the screen (pause icon).

To skip to the next track, you would need to tap once on the screen to display the controls, then tap again on the right side of the screen to hit the skip forward icon >>|

Not terrible but it would have been nice if Apple had made a workout mode which had some sort of no-look swipe or tap controls for pause and skip. The problem with the headphones with remote is that they tend to short out when exposed to sweat.

Workout mode? You mean VoiceOver? Which uses gestures for everything and I got stuck in it when I first got it and couldn't get back to Accesibility to change it? Yeah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.