New NAS folder shortcuts in sidebar not working

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by sargein, Nov 8, 2015.

1. sargein macrumors newbie

Upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan, and I had a few shortcuts to NAS shares on my Synology NAS. Tried creating a new shortcut in sidebar by dragging it to the sidebar. Instead of getting the name of the folder like it did in Yosemite, it gets name of the base NAS share. And, it works exactly once and then when I try to access the folder using that it gives me an error. The old links in sidebar created during Yosemite still work fine (but do not show the eject button on the right like it used to), but the new ones just do not work. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?

2. sargein thread starter macrumors newbie

3. jdelgado macrumors regular

I also have a Sinology NAS and it works for me.
    I have a share or a folder in the share in the Favorites sidebar and can mount/open them.
    I did, however, changed the sharing mode in the NAS from afp to smb. I do not know if this would work for you.
    Edit - Forgot to mention that the NAS device shows in the shared portion of the sidebar and it displays the eject button.

4. sargein thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It shows fine in the Shared portion with the eject button. The eject button does not show in the Favorites section though (it still does in my MBP that is still on Yosemite).
    Also, the links you have in Favorites - are they new links you created under El Capitan or are they old links from Yosemite? My old ones from Yosemite still work fine, but I can't create new ones under El Capitan.

Also, I contacted AppleCare about this. Did screenshare with 2 levels of support and though there were nice and helpful they weren't able to fix it. I even reinstalled El Cap, but still no luck. They are forwarding the issue to Engineering team and may get back in 2-3 days.

5. jdelgado macrumors regular

I installed El Capitan from scratch and all the links are new.
    One weird thing that I noticed is that the links work for a DS212+, but do not work the same for a DS411+.
    Look forward to the answer you get from Apple.

6. Notohyr macrumors member

I have the same issue with both my Synology DS209II and my DS415+ and El Capitan. With Yosemite and previous OSX I did not have this problem, ever. Somehow Finder makes a mess of the connection with NAS. I tried several workarounds found on internet but no real solution.

When I use Forklift shortcuts to open network folders everything works fine. I'm hoping 10.11.2 will solve this issue.

7. Notohyr macrumors member

8. sargein thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know. I still have the issue even with 10.11.2. Perhaps I will try full OS reinstall (rather than icremental) to see if that helps.
    Have been working with Apple support too. They came back with steps to clean all system caches, but that didn't help. They are still looking into it.