New NDS?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zap2, Nov 14, 2007.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Or atleast a new design?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/rumor/another-nintendo-ds-redesign-on-the-way-322947.php

Hmm...perhaps onboard memory for that upcoming VC for DS, with support for GBA, GBC and GB?

I'd be up for that!

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Would be nice but losing the GBA port wouldn't be such a good idea, some games (like Pokemon Diamond) depend on the GBA Pokemon games to get every Pokemon and to trade over your old collection and they definitely can't dimish the experience for one of their best selling games.

3. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

True...but Nintendo might get you to rebuy all the pokémon game on VC, and repay Nintendo. And then you can use the DS's VC to access them!

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When DS Lite sales taper off. lol, so in a few years time? :D

If they added some nifty new features to it, like the VC playback then I'd be tempted. But if they just take a DS lite and give it bigger screens without a GBA port then I wouldn't look twice :eek: seems like a budget version of a Lite.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i would much prefer a new system instead of a new redesign but thats just me.... bring on 4 screens baby!

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I'll buy a Nintendo handheld when I can play my Wii VC games on it. If this function is not added then I see no reason why it's better than the lite. Removing the GBA slot makes it a lesser machine in my opinion ;)

7. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Losing the GBA port will be a bad thing and it seems like an illogical choice. There are so many peripherals that use the port. Look at the rumble pak, the arkanoid controller, the Browser memory cart, that camera game that came out in japan...

Unlike the GBC->GBA, the DS is an extension of the GBA hardware, and it's not like they're losing too much money keeping that backwards compatibility.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Pfft. Predictions from Financial Analysts are always full of crap; they're good at predicting market twists but they really don't understand the hardware involved and how companies traditionally treat different technologies.

This guy's predictions have as much weight than anyone else on this board who knows the industry well.

9. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I predict no less than 1 redesign of the DS before we see a DS2. :D

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i'd prefer a new system also.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The problem here is that the handheld is usually always 1 or 2 generations behind the 'home console' version generally.

The problem is if they released a new machine stepping up power (we're at N64 stage with the DS) we would move onto gamecube kind of power.

However this could be too much power because it's so close to the wii power wise.

I think this is the reason for just dragging out re-designs rather than new machine.

12. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I don't think we're at the point where we can fit a gamecube into something the size of a DS. Anyway, the Gameboy Advance lasted a long time. I can see the DS lasting just as long if not longer.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd rather see something tied into the Wii. A real Gameboy 2 of sorts, where you can purchase games online via the Wii or PC (a la iTunes) and send them to your handheld, sorted on some kind of internal memory. Give it VC playback as well. I'd like that.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Another DS huh....I think the lite is cool just the way it is unless they find a way to make it smaller/thinner but the screen bigger. handheld sales nowhere near falling off so I don't think this redesign DS will be hitting stores anytime soon...maybe in another two/three years.

Bless

15. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

They're actually doing this with the Wii and DS to some extent over in Japan. I don't think the US is getting it for a while.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't believe they've started doing it. But they announced it a while back. We'll get it in the US as well.

They've got DS Download Stations set up all over Japan, and soon they'll start letting Wii owners download DS demos.