New Network Setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by semaja2, Jun 2, 2007.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,

I have been hoping to wait out for a new wireless base station from Apple which would include the obvious gigabit connection but unless someone knows the ETA on that.

My current Linksys router is failing, it seems to drop its LAN connections every few mins for a split second, i also have a server which i no longer really need besides storing data for our network.

What i would like to setup is a Apple Wireless Base Station, this would act as the main base station with only 5ghz enable, and have the old linksys connected to run the 2.4ghz network

I then would connect a USB hub into the base station and plug my 3x Hard Drives into the hub

http://www.getright.com.au/v2006ver...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

What do you guys think of the plan? I primarily want to use the Apple Base Station because it uses AFP which for the Apple machines around here is a great advantage over samba.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have the same plan for my d-link. It will handle all the old g hardware and the AEBS will handle the n.

IMHO, Apple positions the AEBS as a home device. They also believe that home users don't need gigabit ether. That's for the office. Therefore, I don't see Apple updating the AEBS to gigabit anytime soon. I could be wrong.

I also hope they update the Airport Express to n but if they don't I could always hang one off my g network.

3. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Has anyone done a similar setup? or even the same setup because ive heard mixed reviews about the ABE and use with USB devices.

PS. I can agree home users dont need gigabit in some sense, but why bundle it into every Mac but not include it into the core device (ABE) :S

PSS. I use the storage drives quite a bit and have a constant stream of data coming from then (Movies/Music/etc) and i have heard that some had trouble in similar setups

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Seems kind of stupid to have wireless n which goes up to like 300mbps but only have wired connections that are 100mbps

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree but that is the only "sensible" conclusion I can draw from this. It could not have cost more than a few dollars to go from 100M to 1G.

6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

hhhmmmm, na

This isn't quite true, because the Mac Mini has Gb ethernet. I also think the iMac's have them too, and they're domestic machines.

I think the lack of Gb ethernet is a bit of a downer - my Mac Pro, my Bro's Mini, and my mum's soon to be iMac will all have Gb ethernet, but I'm having to use my 3Com Gb Switch to link them up!

Make a Gb router Apple - preferably with an ADSL mobem capable of 24Mbps!

F

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its easy to say no, but I don't see anyone offering more plausible reasons why.